Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Steering Wheel Cocked

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tsanjose 
#1 ·
I just installed my Newton 2.5" Kit.. I installed the 2.5" Spacers, Shock extensions, brake line relocators, and the trac bar spacers to drop the trac bar back down some.. Now my truck's steering wheel instead of the controls beings at 9 and 3, are at 10:30 and 4:30... I just drove it about 10 miles, it doesnt seem to be pulling at all.. Whats to blame?

#2 ·
I believe it is the linkage just needs tightening. Mine is the same way after installing my spacers under the shock cups. Just too lazy to tighten it.

#4 ·
No i never read that in the instructions.. I was somewhat wondering if that was it? I didnt know if the trac bar spacers was supposed to keep this from happening too.. How much to i need to adjust the drag link?

#5 ·
Lengthen it until the steering-wheel is where you want it. How much? depends on the lift. You can either use trigonometry or Pythagoras's theorem if you want an actual distance, but it is easiest to to position the steering-wheel to where it sits when the truck is driving straight, have the column unlocked, and turn the adjuster until the steering-wheel points straight.

Why is it off? Simple. You increased the distance from where the axle was, but didn't address the draglink to compensate. The tracbar spacers keep the axle centered laterally as the distance (lift) increases. It doesn't have anything to do with the steering-wheel.

#6 ·
Its real simple, loosen the backup bolts, and twist the coupling... easy peezy japanesey

#8 ·
The drag link is the bar that goes from the pitman arm to the steering knucle. With the steering unlocked, straighten the wheels. Then lengthen (by turning) the drag link until the steering wheel is re-centered. Either that, or take it in for a good alinment-that is what you SHOULD do!

#9 ·
X2 on alignment. 60 bux might save tons of headache. Even though I used to align my tj wrangler myself

#10 ·
Picture shows an OBS but the procedure is the same on the 05+ trucks. If you see where the pitman arm is follow the tie rod down to the connecting sleeve. Take those 2 nuts loose & turn with a pipe wrench till your wheel is straight. Helps to have an empty parking lot & someone to tell you how much to turn it. Not hard, it just might take you a few try's though.

#11 ·
alignment is good. just my steering wheel was slightly cocked. i was going to remove it and try to align it that way but this way worked! thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.