Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dually versus SRW for towing difference.

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Wakin' Neighbors 
#1 ·
Here it is guys, I sold my truck and am torn between an 03 Dually crew Lariat that is completely clean and unmolested or an 04 SRW longbox Crew King Ranch that has 5" full exhaust with muffler and a volant or something intake setup. I'm planning a toyhauler 5th wheel for towing and it'll probably be around 13,000-14,000 lbs when all said and done.

Will the stability of the dually really make THAT much difference or is the difference in stability really not as big as it seems?

I like the KR but the dually is spotless clean and the KR has some scuffs outside.

I'd be looking at some 19.5's for the dually later as well as an exhaust and intake and gauges. The KR has that awesome interior and 2 of the mods already. The Dually is fire engine red with grey leather and the KR is white/tan two tone.

I'm torn as to which to get but the towing differences is what's got me bugged.

What do you guys think?

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
We're leaning towards it since it's untouched for mods and is in perfect shape (in pics and word of mouth). Need to verify 7.3 or 6.0 still but ad says 6.0. Either way, it's a good looking truck once all the chrome accessories come off. 220 miles to go see it and 220 back. We'll probably do it tomorrow. That KR interior is so nice though and my kid can climb into that 5" pipe almost!!! I'm leaning towards the dually just because the 19.5 polished wheels would look great on that fire engine red truck.

I'll also be retiring in Cheyenne or northern Co. where the wind is stupid so I think you're right.

Thanks

Dave

#5 ·
I pull with both SRW DRW daily, with a 5th wheel the DRW pulls a littler nicer. You will like the DRW better, but if you have never pulled with one then you'll be fine with a SRW, pulled with the SWR for years. Just my thoughts.

#6 ·
Did Ford ever put chrome fender flares on trucks from the factory? This dually I'm looking at is fire engine red with chrome door handles, tailgate handle and fender flares. I can't see the truck to know but the shop it's at says they are just screswed on from the inner lip and look removable. If they were from the factory, I wonder if they were painted underneath or not because I'm pulling them off. Not a fan of that much chrome.

Thanks
Dave

#9 ·
Hands down a dually tows anything much better than a srw. If you are not towing heavy a srw is fine, but i would not trade my dually for a srw any day.

#10 ·

This is what I tow with my 05 SB CC SRW. It is a 35' toyhauler rated at
16000#. I have a 5" suspension lift and 35" tires. I had the truck and trailer weighed in at 23,600# at a certified scale once. I have towed it from SoCal to Utah half a dozen times and have been through high winds. I can think of only one time that I got slightly pushed into another lane from a heavy crosswind gust and it wasn't too bad. I get high winds all the time going to the desert. I have airbags and that makes a world of difference. I can tell with my buddies stock 04 CC SB SRW and no airbags. I have no problems towing with a SRW but have never tried with a daully. SRW are easier to park too.

#11 ·
I traveled the 225 miles and picked up the dually. It was pretty clean. Has a few scratches on the exterior but no rust or dents at all. Interior is real clean gray leather with all the options. It drives outstanding compared to my old truck. Very stable and easy to handle. I like that this has not been modified in anyway at all other than them pulling the muffler off and straight piping from the cat back. I'll fix that. The chrome is all under scrutinization as to whether or not we pull it off. The front brush guard is coming off for sure and sold. It's been a long drive and I'm tired. Thanks for allt he help guys. I'll be bugging about accessories for this and the 6leaker fixes soon.

Thanks
Dave

#13 ·
And here she is sitting front of the house all dirty from the trip. I'm gutting the interior cleaning it out now. THey didn't have time to was hit out before I came to them. He didn't expect it to sell with diesel prices the way they are there.

I'm pretty sure all the chrome is coming off. Was hesitant yesterday when walking out of a gas station but it's getting done.

Dave

#15 ·
It is the 6 leaker. Engine looks and pulls great. I'm going to do the EGR delete soon. Not sure if I'm going to do studs and gaskets because I'm not tuning, turboing or injector---ing it. Just exhaust, EGR and a few little things for reliability.

Dave

#16 ·
Studs r for reliability. Stockers blow the head gaskets as well.

#19 ·
Funny, the grille guard is off and sitting on the side of my house now. I'm thinking of fixing the two vertical mounts of it by recoating the chrome and selling the whole thing. Not a fan of big guards even though we have tons of deer.

I think the chrome is going to come off and I'm going to get tinted cab lights for the top to match the tinted mirror lights. Then the steps, grill and bumpers will be the only chrome.

The interior is spotless, the top of the engine is too. Just need a little more pressure washing and detailing under the engine and then I'm going to start swapping all fluids.

#20 ·
Chrome is all gone. The rear fenders show a bit of rubbing from the chrome but not bad at all. I like the look much better. No pics yet because it's flooding outside. Thanks all!

Now to get the fluids and filters all swapped out.

Dave

#21 ·
Interesting that the DRW 6.0's have the angled exhaust tip like the 7.3's did, but the SRW 6.0's have a straight exhaust tip. Wonder why Ford did that

#22 ·
My 2000 certainly had the SS or chrome fender flares like that. I think they are OEM. I took them off and foudn mud packed under them and some rust setting in. I would definitely recommend removing the flares for the ability to clean the mud and salt.

#23 ·
The chrome is all removed. The rears were rubbing on the plastic fenders but it's negligible and the fronts were fine. The truck looks much better in my eyes.

The tail pipe looks aftermarket because it's welded on in a not so smooth straight fashion. Either way, it'll be gone with the new exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.