Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Flares or no Flares...What you think?

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  jdc753 
#1 ·
Kinda in a tough spot. Bought these flares over a year ago and had them painted, now getting around to installing them. I liked them when I ordered them and now Im not to sure what to think.

Should I put them on?

Or leave it like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
No flares, I had those exact ones on my 04 and they rubbed the paint pretty good. I also loved the looks of them when I first saw them but they grew old on me really quick when I had them on the truck. Your truck looks great the way it sits!

#5 ·
See I was thinking the same thing so I got some 3m clear vinyl to put along the edge where the flare meets the paint.

I would say with how wide your tires are yes, it wouldnt look good if your tires were skinnier and didn't stick out then those flares would be fugly. Me personally not a fan of them cause most people have them are their trucks with skinnier tires, but with your truck I think they look pretty badass.
Haha. I was thinking my wheels wasnt wide enough now. Im kinda shooting for the aggressive stance without being lifted to much and thought the flares would look damn good with a 12in wide wheel stuffed under them.

#3 ·
Sunday Im taking it to the body shop, the tan on the bottom is going to get the tapered off look like the cabelas trucks have (shown below), grill is getting painted, along with the fender vents and mirrors.

I think they will look better, or more porportionate when I get my 20x12's put on. But still not sure.

#4 ·
I would say with how wide your tires are yes, it wouldnt look good if your tires were skinnier and didn't stick out then those flares would be fugly. Me personally not a fan of them cause most people have them are their trucks with skinnier tires, but with your truck I think they look pretty badass.

#8 ·
Do you need the flares? In other words, is your paint getting chipped with your current tire and wheel combo?

#9 ·
I like the flares. your tires stick out quite a bit and the flares will prevent the all the chips instead of waiting a few years w/o flares and getting a set to cover them up. The clear vinyl stuff works great too and make sure you use the black welting too. I think the Cabela two tone looks kinda crappy, it dosen't flow very well. I'd sugest to leave it as is maybe paint the headlights and call it good. Not too much chrome nor overdone with the monochromatic craze.

#10 ·
My truck wishes everyday that I would have put flares on it. Thing is, now I have to repaint my box and the whole bottom of my truck and STILL put flares on. Big tires pickup big rocks and when they spit em out, they leave BIG chips.

#12 ·
What's the purpose of "12 wides" in your eyes? To screw those behind you on the Highway, to reck your $7,000 paint job while you cruse the mall, or reduce your traction in wet and winter weather? I thought they were for flotation and traction off road:lookaround:.

#14 ·
Don't take that as me trying to trash you cause I'm not. You definitely have a really nice truck, I love it, and there's no reason not to pamper it. I responded trying to understand what Dary's thought of the intended "purpose" was. To me it sounds like the purpose is to stick out way past the body. And by doing that you are going it throw rocks at other drivers and at your own paint and body. So why not continue to pamper your truck, protect it and still have the deep dish look you want instead of hiding the damage that could be prevented while still looking BA in a few years? Also what I was getting at is the actual intended purpose of wider offroad tires were.

Heck when I bought my truck it was only 3 years old and looked 100% new. And no it didn't go offroad, yes it delt with Alaska winters but washed all the time, and had larger tires mostly for looks. So I understand. But if someone wants to run really wide wheels/tires and F up their paint that leads to premature rust... go for it. Not my truck, I didn't pay for it so who as long as they're happy with their decision.

Again Sweet looking truck! Have fun with it.

#15 ·
Oh I gotcha. The truck has some chips here and there but over-all its not to bad considering the amount of abuse it took the first year I had it. Im not trying to hide anything by installing these.

Winters here suck mainly due to the amount of salt they put on the roads. Seeing what my truck looks like now compared to when I bought it new is kinda a kick in the sac. So thats when I bought a nice enough work truck to drive everyday, and still drive long distances if the need be.

Thanks for the complements.

#19 ·
I would absolutely have to put those flares on. I personally think trucks look goofy as hell if a tire is sticking out more than 2" from the body lines (flares included) to me it just looks as if the specced the wrong wheels for the truck. I like wide wheels and tires but I don't like it when they go against the proportions and overall look of the truck, when they start sticking out enough to draw 100% attention to themselves then I think they are silly.

#22 ·
Put em on, they'll save your paint. And if they're anything like my flares, where they actually contact the paint there will be double sided automotive sticky tape made by 3M, to prevent the rubbing issues.

#27 ·
What are you doing with your old flares?

The laws in Missouri are extremely leniant and Ive never been concerned.

My old flare's as of now are up for grabs. If interested let me know.

Here is a reason why I say no flares. This is my buddy Jonathan's truck we took a few things off of this weekend. One of my favorite 08s.

That is a damn good looking truck. As of now Im going to install them and see what I think. I get the truck back Friday and I wont take me long I think to make up my mind.

#25 ·
Sorry if I struck a nerve... Yes the wheel is 12 inches wide so its going to set the tire outside of the fender. So I kinda see that as the purpose and I like the way it looks. Gives the truck a little girth. But to each and to his own. I have just never been a fan of flares.

I would have a set of 12 wides on mine but there weren't as many out when I got my bmfs. They are only 10 wide and still throw stuff behind me if I am not careful. But if I am ever on a gravel path or rock driveway I will get out and make sure all the rocks are out before taking off.

#28 ·
This is one of the few that I have REALLY really liked with 12 wides. I like how it is more dropped down around the wheel, I would like to see a bit less wheel gap but its just about right. I would probably think differently seeing a shot straight down the side of the truck and all the tread that shows to day light but in those pics it sure looks great.

I do love the look of the 12 wides, but for me they would have to go with a 15.5 tire. Somedays I dream of 6" lift with cutouts over 40x15.5 with a set of Fuel Throttle 20x12's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.