Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

have to keep jumping my starter solenoid

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
I have a 96 PSD started to not want to start with the ignition. got worse and wosre and finally went out on me. have to keep jumping the solenoid to start it any ideas?

#5 ·
this is weird as ####. starter was bad bendix was popping out but not spinning but it would spin when i jumped the relay. so i replaced the starter and it will start. but the clutch has to be pumped twice and slammed to the floor to get it to start. I thought i bypassed the safety switch for the clutch because when i was jumping the sloenoid the clutch didnt have to be in. how do i bypass the safety switch?

#8 ·
The bushing on the clutch master pushrod is probably pooched, meaning you're not pushing the pushrod all the way in when you mash the pedal, meaning the start contacts on the switch aren't closing. Heim joint or home-made brass bushing + 7/16" drill stop collar on the "knob" on the lever will firm that right up. Might also need to remove the lever from the pivot and re-"clock" it a few degrees counterclockwise, so the pedal moves the pushrod a little sooner.

I've always jumpered this switch on all the econoboxes I've owned, but I'm just not ready to do it yet on a 3-ton truck....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.