Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

EGTs BS never ends for me i need more ideas.

4K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  TBarrsTruck 
#1 ·
At 65mph 1800-1900 RPMs my EGTs are no less than 775 mostly 800 with no head wind no trailer no steep grade no nothen.

Ive changed the up pipe gaskets 2 months and have always checked my boots with soapy water and have removed and cleaned every one of them. Mods are in my sig and im turning 35" all terrains. Oh and i jus recently lubed all caliper pins and changed brakes and rotors so no more dragging.

Ask away guys i dont know what to do next. TIA

#3 ·
Temps are around 60 degrees, yes it is high elevation. This happens year round, the thing is my dad has the same exact truck but his only has an edge and 35" mudders with 20" chrome heavy wheels, no intake no exhaust and his sits at least a 100 degrees cooler than min. He has a leveling kit but mine has a 6" so what gives???

#4 ·
I would imagine there would be a big difference in a 6" lift and just a leveling kit.

Your EGTs don't sound to far out of line.

#5 ·
I hope not man im jus worried about hooken somethin up to her and driving up a steep grade. Maybe so guys running a 6" lift with 35 s could give me some numbers that there gettin.

#6 ·
How much boost are you seeing when cruising like that?

#9 ·
Geez i cant really remember i think like 3-4 maybe, at wot i can hit 27 with out the red line connected to the waste gate and 26 psi with it.

#7 ·
im runing 33s and i run around 600 650. fwiw

#10 ·
Geez startin to sound like the lift and tires are my problem... Thanks man.

#11 ·
If you have stock gears, that's going to contribute. It's almost like lugging the engine in a way.

Lift + larger tires = more resistance at any given RPM. What happens when you run low RPM's and then add a load? It's lugging the engine. You're under the turbo, EGT's rise, and there's your results.

Of course, EGT gauges can be off a tad too.

#12 ·
Your right about the low rpms thing they do go up, so i guess even when im cruising at 18-1900 rpms at 65 mph ill still get the high egts? Hmmm well this sucks..

#14 ·
I would assume aerodynamics

#17 ·
Yes this is on 80hp daily driver

#19 ·
Honestly I'm betting EGT's are fairly close to accurate.

I also live at high altitude (6000 ft), and when I first moved to Colorado my only mods were 36" tires, 6" lift (still on stock 3.73 gears), intake, and chip. His EGT's are nearly identical to what I was seeing at that time.

#21 ·
I don't even understand what the OP is complaining about.

Anything between 450-950 is COMPLETELY normal and is not hurting a thing. The smallest of changes will cause variation. In your case just your lift and tires makes it run hotter. Is it a new concept to you that it takes more fuel/ energy to turn big tires going down the road?

#24 ·
The point im trying to make is my dads truck is chipped and has 35" mudd terrains with 20" heavy wheels and no intake and no exhaust i would even bet his filter is clogged but his Egts have always been lower than mine no matter and the only difference that would benefit him with lower egts is his truck is 3 inches lower thats whats hard to understand.

#26 ·
I dunno, maybe the elevation comes into play here. But with my set up at 65 MPH in my hotter tune (#5) I see 600-650. At 75-80 MPH I was just cracking 750-800.

It could be your tunes ? Tread pattern and width ?

#27 ·
My 2 cents...flush your intercooler. If it's full of oil and internal nastiness...it's not going to be as efficient as if it was clean. For every degree your intake temp is decreased, EGTs should show the same decrease. JMHO. Good luck.

#28 ·
Maybe at higher elevations but I can tell you up to 2000' 950 @ 60-65 on flat rpad would not be normal. It would be a couple hundred high. Now these little hils are just that compared to what isnoit west so I can see his readings being perfectly normal especially when you take into account a 6" lift and larger tires with stock gears. But for a lower tune than all out if your egts runing wot go over 1200-1300 just have yiur tuner adjust what he needs to. I would think for people that are in higher elevation all the time tuning ciuld be tweaked to address any issues that pop up.

#29 ·
At wot i can hit 1600 in jus 9-10 seconds in the extreme tune of course.. Jus food for thought but yes i may need to get my chip retuned by php or use this excuse to give beans a try and let them know where i live at, thank you for the advice. What worries me is when i go to hook somethin up and pull a steep grade is what will my EGTs look like???

#32 ·
You have an ATS housing and a Banks actuator then you say
i tightened the rod nut on the wastegate as far as it could go
, whatever that means. I suspect your wastegate isn't adjusted correctly and is leaking. You also might gain a few degrees by getting rid of that intake.

#33 ·
You have an ATS housing and a Banks actuator then you say , whatever that means. I suspect your wastegate isn't adjusted correctly and is leaking. You also might gain a few degrees by getting rid of that intake.
The rod on the wastegate is fully tightend, what intake? My ATS housing? Why?

#34 ·
Have you made absolutelybsure you have no boost leak? You really need to put pressure to it with a adapter to know for sure.

I would give php a chance ro retune long before I went loking at new tunes. Bil and Cody are very good and I have heard know a thing or two about tuning high elevation.

What does it smoke like under wot conditions? Or even hard partial throttle?

#42 ·
im 99% positive i dont have a boost but you are right i do need to pressurize it to be sure, im going to give them a call and see what they think about mt tuning in this altitude, depends wich tune your refering to? at WOT in the 80 hp tune its really tough to get smoke to come out of the exhaust so none at partial throttle, on the 140 extreme tune it smokes good amount at WOT and a little at parial throttle.

With stock gears and 35 inch tires you are going faster than 65 mph with the engine at 1800 to 1900 rpms as well. The faster you go the higher the egts will be. Is the spedo calibrated for the tires on either truck?

I havent calibrated the spedo on mine and the only way ive gotten close to determining the speed of my truck is through gearing calculators. They tell me with 3.73 gears and 35 inch tires the engine will be at 1635 rpm at 65 mph. Seems a little off to me but I havent checked it against anything else yet.
i dont think they are calibrated, i have a diablo predator programmer can i do it with that?

Are your EGT probes both located in the same spot.
i only have one EGT gauge the probe is located in the drivers side manifold.

#35 ·
Does your dad live in close to you?
You should put the edge chip on (take yours off) see what temps you run with it. Maybe the edge runs cooler?

#36 ·
With stock gears and 35 inch tires you are going faster than 65 mph with the engine at 1800 to 1900 rpms as well. The faster you go the higher the egts will be. Is the spedo calibrated for the tires on either truck?

I havent calibrated the spedo on mine and the only way ive gotten close to determining the speed of my truck is through gearing calculators. They tell me with 3.73 gears and 35 inch tires the engine will be at 1635 rpm at 65 mph. Seems a little off to me but I havent checked it against anything else yet.

#38 ·
I don't see anything out of line with the setup he's running. Big tires + lift equals trouble with egt's especially when towing, It's all about the final ratio. with Tires 4" taller than stock this is what it's going to be. Either go smaller or regear it.

#43 ·
if you two are both geared the same, the difference like somebody else stated would be the lift and the bigger tires......drop it into 3rd gear at the same speed and watch the egt, it'll amaze you what the gearing will do.......

#44 ·
I see what your sayin, my dad has 35" mudders with 20" wheels wich i gurantee they are heavier then mine, my truck has 35" tires also but they are bfg all terrains with only a 16.5" wheel and my truck sits only 3" higher.

#45 ·
3" can be huge when talking aerodynamics.

When both trucks are running 50mph are the EGTs more comparable? How about 40? I

#48 ·
We have never compared going that speed but i will ask him soon if we can.

#49 ·
I've heard 200 is pretty easy for pre vs post. I had mine post and moved it to the Y and saw a good 100* idling and about 180* driving, plus they respond much quicker pre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.