Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 no power and black smoke

81K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  Weatherlite 
#1 ·
Hey there, my 06 6.0 started blowing black smoke and had no power, Then started loosing coolant. Took it to dealer they replaces the egr cooler, oil cooler and egr valve. Problem is it still has no power and blows black smoke........... anyone have any ideas?

#3 ·
Any codes???

#4 ·
When I got it back from the dealer, the tech said there was nothing wrong with. They also said they cleaned the turbo?? I'm ot buying it though. Once you hit about 2500- 3000rpm the boost comes up and it seems to be fine. Pulling a trailer trying to go up hill from a stop is almost impossible!!!! Taking it to different dealer tomorrow. Guess I'll see what they say

#8 ·
sounds like the egr valve is stuck open. if it was replaced it shouldn't be though...have them check FICM voltage and ebp sensor...

#11 ·
It seems to make boost........from what the factory gauge says, Im really siding towards the turbo, but open to opinions, thats for sure

#13 ·
During all this black smoking you got going on, what kind of boost are you seeing? Does the smoke clear when you get to full boost? Need to scan it and see what your VGT duty cycle is. Im leaning towards sticky veins.

#15 ·
It doesnt make boost till around 2500rpm, then it seems to be ok. I would lean towards turbo aswell. But the gauge does say up to 30 psi of boost. Mileage has gone to hell too!
Sorry for the short bits and peices of info but cant seem to find enough time to give the full story at once.

#16 ·
Once its up and going its fine, still puffs the black though.........which it never has unless chipped

#22 ·
Check ebp sensor mine frayed and caused the vanes not to function also check vgt soleinoid and wires going to it sounds like stuck vanes, does it whistle as normal at idle?

#23 ·
No word yet, ebp was just changed but after the egr cooler went it could be balled again. I can't really say if it whistles at idle.......I dont think so

#27 ·
the ebp is on the drivers side of the motor, its actually easy to get at, they plug up with soot along with the little tube

#28 ·
Well guys the dealer just called and said all my issues are from a bad altenator???? Not puttin out enough volts to run the FICM among other things........not sure I really buy that. Any input on that???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.