Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

To destroke or not

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  cliff-1972 
#1 ·
Hey guys Ive got a 94.5 powerstroke. Body is in great shape, no rust, its flat black right now but if I keep it I will paint it this summer. The problem is I keep puking coolant and overheating. I have check and checked and the HG doesnt show any signs of being blown. Im starting to get fed up and am thinking about just ripping this PSD out and putting a 12V in it. Or I could take the PSD out and tear it all apart and rebuild it. I really do think the HG is gone even though it tells me its not. I have replaced injector rings and water pump and t stat to try and get this fixed but it just keeps blowing coolant.

What do you guys think I should do?

#2 ·
Base it on how much your willing to spend - fixing the PSD vs swapping in the 12v. What type of 12v would you swap in? VE or p-pump? I'm looking at the same questions with my truck before I get to deep in mods for the PSD then decide to swap. I do like the room that you get when working on a 12v plus little to no electronics to mess with but it seems costs are pretty high depending on where you go. Sorry I'm not much help.

#3 ·
I did all the math and with a mech 12V since mine is a manual I should be able to do it for around 3k... Someone correct me if im wrong. I think the auto's are closer to 5-6k But I think 3k into the PSD would be pretty nice too. That would at least be injectors and pump right?

#16 ·
depending on what motor and how much you pay it can be alot more than that, after doing mine nad paying for all the ends and shipping along with the big ticket items it is more like 10K easy if you do the job correctly! using auto zone splices will help the bottom line but you just open doors for potential problems down the road.... give aden or steel a call at GOS they are will give you a better idea but i will be the first to tell that no one tells you abou the little things and they add up quick.

#6 ·
3-4 + cost of motor sounds right according to what I've researched (mines an auto so mines more) The nice things with the 12v are you can make power with turns of screws and alot less, if any, electronics. Most everything is cheaper on the 12v side as far as maintenance and mods. The best place I've found and been refered to: DESTROKED: Cummins Conversions You may also want to hit up some Cummins sites if your not on any: Diesel Truck Resource, Cummins Forum, CompD. I've also heard that if you have emissions testing that a swap motor has to be the same year or newer than the truck so it may need looking into.

#11 ·
I dont think its the PSD i think its just the way the truck was previously cared for and its just not something I want to deal with anymore. I think what I am going to do is sell the truck and get another PSD. I found one I really like on here and have a pretty serious buyer coming out tonight to look at my truck. If all goes well I will be picking up the other truck June 4th.

Then if I have problems with this OBS I will be jacking the PSD and looking into a Cummins but this one looks very well cared for so I think I am going to be ok

#12 ·
94.5 powerstroke. What mods are done to the truck?

If it's stock or close to stock, meaning you don't have an S3,S4 based turbo with a set of 200+ cc injectors in it then you don't have a blown headgasket. I go through this all the time. People bring me stock 7.3's.. tell me they have blown headgaskets and it nevvvverr is. You always think "hey, this may be the one" but it never is....

Overheating... could have junk floating around in your cooling system. That's where I would start first.

IE:

Call me, numbers in sig if you have any questions.

#13 ·
Holy #### that is Nasty!!! I do not think it is a Blown HG. The truck is stock with an exhaust... Not making much power lol. Ill shoot you a call on my lunch break. I have had the HG checked many times and it keeps coming up as not blown

#14 ·
Well I have had three 7.3 PSD in my 96.Stock engine at 153K through a rod (stage II's,H2E and hot tunes).It was mostly do to a pin in the #8 cylinder which caused it to hydro lock.First rebuilt was a freshened up 97 PSD with 64K on it.Mods were DDP 530's,Terminator,H2E and all needed for 500hp.It blow head gaskets prior to studs.Made 431hp in tow setting on DP tuner F5.Removed engine to install fire ringed heads,coated pistons,R&R rods and custom built turbo set up(Turbonetics Super 72 on pedestal I built).I had 11K in the last build with everything involved.I never cranked it due to daughter being born("note to self" next time at least run it) and I tore it back down and sold everything.I built it back with a set of Stage I DIY and stock turbo and it made 345hp and 681 torque.At 181K it through #2 rod.This is due to past two blown head gaskets (alway have rods checked for cracks) that led to rods weakening.That was July 8 2008.I choose then to go with a Cummins.The most expensive part of my build so far is the trans build up and adapter parts to install it.There is probably 8K just in that part alone.The used 98 12V cost $2100 with all acessories.If you are not trying to break any records then the 7.3 is great.The stock E4OD isn't as good as the 4R100 do to Ford having made so many different up grades to the design (reason why I have so much money in my trans!!!!),but can handle the cummins up 400hp for a while.In my case the Cummins was the only way,affordable from a engine stand point,for the power I am seeking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.