Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

I got "suspended" at work.....

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Dieselboy740 
#1 ·
Im slightly pissed. Just till next week but still its for something that never happened.
They gave the power to some guy that deserves none whatsoever.

So the back story is...

Monday: First thing in the morning i stopped at the shop and turned in my paperwork from the previous week and while i was there i chatted with the service manager about where i am on a job where im swapping some engines on a pair of cat 615 paddle wagons. I explained that it was supposed to rain on tuesday and if it does im not going out to work on said equipment if it does.

Tueday: I get up around 5:30 and it pouring rain so i turn my alarm off and go back to sleep. I get up at 9 and go cover up my bronco "oops" and do a few other things around the backyard. Around 11 i get a call from the service manger asking "whats going on"? I tell him "nothing much this rain has screwed everything up" I also ask "is there anything going on at the shop that i can do"? He replies no not really so i hang up. About 10min later he calls again asking if was going to attend a afflac meeting lol. I told him no. I then tell him that if its raining again on wednesday that again im not going to work on said equipment and that i have some stuff that i can do in the afternoon at a customers yard. I also explained what it was. (abs light, and a pony motor on a landoll that isnt charging). He then calls me asking me about my paperwork from friday where I reminded him that I turned in a time off sheet that he signed and approved and signed for my vacation pay.

Wednesday: I get up around 5:30 again and check the weather and its raining again.. (great) So i do some stuff in my garage again and then go inside and play some games and get some lunch. Around 11 i get a call from a odd phone number that i didn't answer and just ignored. They ended up leaving a voicemail that i also ignored. I then speak to my customer and inform him that im coming down to look at the writeups that he has. I then get a phone call from a guy at the shop (used to be service manager but is a salesman on the dealership side now).
He asks me "whats going on"? I tell him that im getting ready to go down to a customers yard and do some work down there" He then tells me that "well me and steve (service manager) are getting ready to come pick up your service truck". I ask "huh"? "he then tells me that steve says that i havent called in for 2 days and that he cannot get a hold of me all day" I tell him that i dont have any missed calls and wtf is going on? So at this point in time i get pissed and go to the shop and confront him. Hes claiming that i never told him anything and that i havent called in..
Im shocked and showed him and everyone there my phone records showing that i did talk to him and how long. Also that i had no missed calls from him.

From there he keeps denying it. At this point in time im getting pissed. This isnt the first time that i've had problems with the guy. Nor am i the only one that hates him. I yell at him for awhile about how this is all bs and how hes gone to the big boss and made me look like crap when its all false. He then hands me a paper saying that he suspending me! At this time im doing everything i can to stay calm at not loose it on his arrogant ass.

I had to leave my service truck at the shop with all of my tools in it. He also made me turn in my shop keys and said im not allowed on the property till the suspension is over. Now our shop has cameras all over it covering everything.

First thing im doing when i get back is calling the owner and having a discussion about this bs.
Im getting re evaluated on june 16th wtf.
Ill leave it at that.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have been complaining about this guy since he started. He's already lost us a few customers because of stuff like this.

#5 ·
I can understand you feeling pissed and all./

but.....so let me get this straight though. you're a field service mechanic. and you wouldn't go work outside because it was raining? I don't understand.

why would you not go to work in the rain. field service. thats the way it goes. I'm HD mech in field service as well. Industrial and oilfield mostly. I haven't missed a day of work in years. booked time sure. but not because of weather. some days when its -45c and you get called out to some drilling lease that the devil himself won't go to, I think twice. but I go because thats what I do.

#6 ·
Ive been a field tech for 12 years. I have plenty of time left to finish the job and it was a miserable day so why not?

#7 ·
why not............ well I'm currently just off an 18 hour shift. I'll be back at it in 6 hours. I guess just a difference in work ethic.

I clearly don't know what rules your company rolls with, but what I see is you didn't call in before the start of your shift on either day. no call/no show..... that wouldn't fly where I'm at. But theres obviously something wrong because you got suspended.

sorry. I'm tired and I'm not trying to be a dick. I should leave it alone until another day.

#8 ·
I used to be a dod contractor i know about long days and traveling. i spent 7 months straight away from home before.

The thing is that i usually dont need to check in. Ive been doing my own thing and making them money etc... He knew what was going on but is denying it.

Hes even denying ever talking to me at all. When i have phone records showing otherwise.

#9 ·
My opinion may not mean much but...as far as the rain thing goes you should ask..."if its raining on tuesday and wed. is it ok if i chill out." i kinda see it as your job. you work in the "feild" which means outside which means you work unless you simply cant for reasons outta your control. For this alone youd be fired or suspended. At 5:30 when you woke up and it was raining id of called my boss and asked again to confirm and to make sure i had contact with him at the start of the day. Same for the second day. Another thing you should keep in mind...If someone calls me and says whats going on? Its a nice way of saying what the hell are you doing why the fukk are you not at work.
Adressing the calls i got nothing. If you have the records then you do your word against his. Checking in is always a good thing.Always. Weather you feel like it or not do t anyway. My dad would beat my ass for not checking in or letting him know what im doing.
Im sorry but from the looks of it well imo yo got suspended and i can see why. Im not attacking you im just saying i can se why you got suspended.
Sorry if this pisses you off. Have a good night though. Best of luck buddy

#13 ·
Setup a meeting with the owner now. At this point your probably fighting for your job I hope your owner is reasonable.

#15 ·
2 things.
1) Email with delivery confirmation. That gives you documentation and is easy to do.
2) Wtf would you leave your tools on the truck? My policy is if I'm not working for you for what ever reason my tools go with me.

If you are worth your salt then the thought of loosing you will out weigh the bs. If I was put in your situation I'd have a job in 2-3 days and let them figure out the details on their own. As for yelling at a boss. I have done it. If I'm right I'm going to stand up. Period. Never compromise your principles.

#16 ·
i would contact your wireless provider or get online and print out your call log. I understand you have it on your phone, but being able to leave it with your boss, an actual hard copy would be beneficial.

When you have the conversation/meeting with your boss i would make all attempts to come across in a very calm and factual manner, leaving your distaste for you manager out of the equation as much as you can

Rain or shine i have to work outside, so i dont understand the rain deal that much, but i'm not in your shoes.

#18 ·
Not much simphony here, I had a outside job for 33 years and if I didn't show up for a couple of days just because it was raining I would of been kicking horse do do on the second day. At least you should of called in on the first day and not tell them what you were going to do the night before also on the second day. Then even if they told you to show up at the shop and sit on your can all day you would of been there.

Also as far as your tools, I would of pulled them from the truck and if my manager didn't let me before he took it I would of called the cops and told them that they were being stolen.

#19 ·
I've worked in the rain plenty on times. But if I don't have to then why should I? Oh and it's SoCal it hardly rains. :pointlaugh:

So today I get a call from my customer stating he's cannot get ahold of anyone and he's pissed about it. He said he cannot get ahold of the service manager etc... I told him I'll try. I call the shop and no answer so I call the dealership side and talked to someone over there to find out that the service manager wasn't even there. WTF.

He's already pushed a few customers away and they werent little customers either.

#27 ·
So today I get a call from my customer stating he's cannot get ahold of anyone and he's pissed about it. He said he cannot get ahold of the service manager etc... I told him I'll try. I call the shop and no answer so I call the dealership side and talked to someone over there to find out that the service manager wasn't even there. WTF.

He's already pushed a few customers away and they werent little customers either.
If there are good customers out there that you have a good relationship with and they are now looking for service it may be time to go buy your own service truck.

#21 ·
Sounds like the guy is on a power trip. As for not calling in if you didn't do it in the past and weren't told you need to do it now then why would you even think to do it? If you told the service guy that you weren't going to work on said equipment if it was raining then it shouldn't have suprised him and if you can at least prove you talked to him then he looks like an azz. Around here there area plenty of techs that don't work in the rain/excess cold unless it's an emergency (fire risk, massive fuel/fluid leak).

If all else fails tell the service manager if he thinks he can do your job then to fukkin fire you or shut the fuk up and let you do your job. Careful this can backfire real quick.

#22 ·
If all else fails tell the service manager if he thinks he can do your job then to fukkin fire you or shut the fuk up and let you do your job. Careful this can backfire real quick.
That would be an instant backfire, gotta remember, this is an employers market. There are more people looking for work than there are jobs.

#23 ·
one thing I would like to know though, is the outfit you work for

-corporate w/ union
-corporate w/o union
-private w/ union
or private no union

#26 ·
i had similar issues when i worked at deere i did service calls and such but one thing is for sure that truck would be in my possession or my tools anyway i have to much money in my tools to have them put in that situation

#28 ·
Update: He's gone.

Owner said to forget about it and paid me for the days I was suspended.

#32 ·
i already do more than he did. We do need a shop bitch though for the random job that gets brought into the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.