Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

trans rebiuld what clutchs to use?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  widieseltech 
#1 ·
well guys im gathering all my parts for my trans rebuild i desided what tq to go with and what im all going to do for mods inside the trans. but the last thing i was looking at was what types of clutchs i should use.
I see alot of kits come with alto red eagles but some say they dont last as long because there made thinner so you can put one extra in, others say there great. i have also heard good things about the raybestos stage one clutchs to. i can also get the factory ford clutchs through work if those would be any good. what do you guys think
thanks guys
i posted this in the trans section and no replys:(

#2 ·
I can't help you on which to use but those saying one is better or worse I would be looking very hard at the power and how hard they were working it and for how long. Otherwise without that context the opinion is of little use.

#6 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking the tranny is the least of that guys worries if he's messing around with propane.

I may be wrong, but I had heard that john wood and bts use stock borg warner clutches..... If the best trans builders in the country uses them...... Just sayin.

#8 ·
YEA vanderchevy18 i have also heard someone say that john wood is using oem clutchs before im not sure if its actually true. and im not sure about bts. if that is the case that would be great seeing as i work for a ford dealer and can get them for real cheap.

#7 ·
I have red eagles and will never put them in again, the teeth are wearing out already after less then 40K miles. My next build will have oem clutches. And the steels not the clutches are thinner I'm pretty sure.

#10 ·
The problem with adding more otr thicker clutches is some parts have to be machined, larger, if you tow extreme or once you start doubling or triple oem hp, a stronger input shaft becomes a might want to do item as well.

#12 ·
so heres what im doing so far on my build.
pump mod, valve body, new center support, 300M input shaft, overdrive spiral snap ring, 45 element sprag, carbon fiber clutch band, racer x billet convertor. 6.0 cooler and extenal filter

so im going to do all that stuff and i was going to use Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels or oem clutchs right from ford. thats the plan what do you guys think?

#14 ·
Sounds a lot like mine. I used the red eagles and a suncoast converter though...

hows it been holding up? how many miles on the rebuild?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.