Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

High Miles and the 7.3L

26K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  airfish2011 
#1 ·
Say you were buying a 7.3l all over again. What is the mileage that would make you turn away from the potential sale?

#5 ·
Bought mine at 275,000 was in great shape, well taken care of and not leaking (much.) Put a TW chip on her and still going strong, just hit 300,000 a few days ago.

#6 ·
I bought my last '95 a year ago with 234K..it's now at 241K. No leaks, no noise, nothing.
The '00 I bought in November had 235K and is now at almost 242K. The transmission pan leaks a little, but that's it.

There was a VAST difference in the maintenance between the two trucks. The '95 had/has impeccable maintenance. The '00 was driven and somewhat neglected as far as I can tell. Differences? The '00 needs injectors and the '95 doesn't.

I bought the '95 about 2 weeks before I drove it 2200 miles from Montana to Georgia....then I drove it back 5 months later. I drove the '00 down to Georgia 5 months after I bought it and will be driving it 2200 miles back to Montana in about 1.5 months. Am I worried? Nope.

I am a maintenance freak though. Hopefully the damage hasn't already been done to this '00.

I bought a '01 back in 2005 with 62K on it with absolutely impeccable maintenance. The ex took it last year with 140K. No leaks, no noise, nothing. I put ball joints in it at 104K (didn't need them, but thought it would be a good idea to do them).

These trucks are twice the product compared to what any other manufacturer made at the time.

#7 ·
Bought mine with 166,500, a stack of service receipts and a compression test. Got it $4k under blue book, put 22k on it so far and been very happy with it. Planning on investing some coin into and probably wouldn't if it were showing signs of nearing the end of it's economic life.

Price should reflect the mileage. Even tho the 7.3 is just getting warmed up at 100k the rest of the truck will show the wear and tear.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Bought my 95 with 218,000 the end of last year. She will be hitting 220,000 in a few days. She's hasn't missed a beat. I have 13 years worth of maintenance recipes that came with it. She's also been tuned for 3 months now.

#9 ·
Bought the Ex two years ago with 190000 for the wife as her daily. It now has 225000 on it and has made 2 10 hour trips snowmobiling now with 5 guys and trailer in tow, no problem and no worries. I bought it from arizona so no rust and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

#18 ·
You let your wife go snowmobiling with 5 guys. I trust my wife, but that's a little overboard.

#10 ·
Doesn't matter. If it needs rebuilt, rebuild it. Still cheaper than a new one and, "There is no substitute for cubic inch", period in my opinion.

#11 ·
No replacement for displacement is what you were looking for I believe. I bought my 97 with 238k and sold it at 253k. It still had the original injectors and turbo on it. It was a work truck bought by the local honda atv and motorcycle shop new in 97 and the owner took awesome care of it. Not a spot of rust on it when I purchased it and it ran year round on PA roads.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
#19 ·
#20 ·
LOL

I bought mine last year with 334,000 and it runs great even though the PO ran propane in it with a chip and other mods.
But it's always a good idea to pay a pro to check it out.

#21 ·
150k maybe. Bought my 99 with 255k on it and added another 40k but she nickle and dimed the hell out of me over those 3 years with parts wearing out but the motor still is in great shapoe jus the truck itself not holding up as great. seats wore out, doors wore out,body wore out,ect. A truck with 150k on the body and 400k on the motor wouldn't bother me a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.