Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

315s, Add-a-leaf, and 4.10s

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  JCart 
#1 ·
I want to get new tires pretty bad. There is nothing wrong with my current tires but they are nearing the end of their life and they are too small and skinny. I was thinking some 315/15/16 Kelly Safari TSRs (knock off of Goodyear Duratracs. If I put an add-a-leaf in will these fit? Also, will my mileage suffer with these tires even though I have 4.10s?

#2 ·
It will suffer some but with those tires since the tread isn't really aggressive it wont be to bad. When I swapped out my 305 all terrains for 315 kumho mud's I only lost 1.5mpg. But if I watch my speed and set cruise on the highway I get better millage than with the 305's, and that is with 4.10's. But what I liked most about going to 315's was the fact that I can now pull away from a stop in the rain and not worry about spinning tires as much

#3 ·
You probably won't hardly notice the mpg difference, mine varies 7-8 up and down with driving style and city/hwy mix

#4 ·
Oh, and if they are like the dura tracs they are pretty soft for such heavy trucks, they likely won't last very long if you care

#6 ·
I had really good luck with some Cooper STT's, I rotated them and got about 40k out of them. They look good, handle good, are awesome in snow and mud and I really just loved them. I bought some bfg AT's and HATE them. I'm going back to the Coopers.

#7 ·
im running 315s and have 4.10s. i didnt notice much in a drop of mpg.

#9 ·
Wow didn't know they were a softer compound. Always heard good things about them. And the Coopers are pretty good tires, have had a few friends run them and couldn't notice any wear until at least 20,000+ miles

#10 ·
Another aggressive heavy truck tire is the Toyo open country MT, wear really well and balance well, ride well, so on

#11 ·
I've been doing my resurch on the Duratracs and most people love them. Most say they are getting 60-80k mile out of them. So do some other reading before taking on persons word for it. I just orderd a set, they should be here next week. As for the kelly's, the guy at Goodyear said the don't come in 315's.

#12 ·
My word for it is based on second hand experience and first hand observation, 60-80k is true when it comes to my roommate with them on his toyota tacoma, not a 7-9k lb diesel.

#13 ·
Seen a lot of people get 50k out of duratracs, Toyo M/Ts are just stupid priced & I've seen enough people not get over 30k miles before they were bald. Tire performance/wear is a very controversial subject. The problem that I see that no one seems to be bringing up is that 315s on a F250 with an add a leaf are going to rub. How badly will they rub? Well that's going to depend on your tire/bumper & rim off set.

This is a 97 with 285/75-16r BFG A/Ts & it was close-

#14 ·
My exact thoughts.

I did a dand 60 swap w a RSK and SD spring lifting my truck 5" over a stock F250 to run 315s
here is is stock w 285s(had to trim bumper)

And here it is w the 5" lift and 285s

Saturday it will be getting 315s on 10" wheels

#18 ·
Let us know how you like the kelly's. The little I've heard about them has been negitive. But then again some peoples experiences tend to be parallel with their brand bias. And I love the grey and maroon truck! My first car/truck was a '89 250 RCLB that was the same two tone. It had the 460 in it which was a great motor... well when gas was $.95/gal when I had it. Oh how I miss her.

#19 ·
Goodyear Duratracs FTW!!! Good tires...Buddies 02 f250 sc/lb on its second set of them with 130k miles on the truck. He dumped the stockers at 50k. Probably has 25 on the new set of duratracs and they still look pretty good. His truck is a farm/work/tow mule. Not a lot of freeway/interstate driving. Mostly dirt/gravel roads and some two lane hwy.

#23 ·
More typo's four not for. I am top notch thanks for noticing, I'm not a young buck or gay, I have a buddy that just got back from Afgan and needed a temp place. Not thin skin, just know what I believe and believe it strongly. Yes I tell him constantly to rotate his tires but that's his choice. Yes I deal with customers daily, I do the diagnostics, quoting, repairs, billing, etc. The tires shop was actually a big fan of the Dura tracs and was all about them til he found out they were going on a diesel, said they wear too fast on heavy trucks. He wasn't trying to sell me on anything, we do tires and buy them through a local place.
So the stay classy and with care is that like saying God bless when your from the south? Kinda like Fu<k you but nicely? I used it cause you completely ignored the roommate and mocked me saying your uncles neighbors son. Does ALL your tires 'knowledge' stem from first hand? I thought not. I threw in the fact that I'm a mech and have been for many years cause it means I see tires on customers cars/trucks daily and know a lot about how which ones hold up to what kind of use and abuse.
God Bless
T

#26 ·
DieselFreak92, when you get a second have a look at Dick Cepek Fun County II's on my third set and like them. Seem for me to have good wear characteristics I get them syped before install to make em last even longer. What rim width you thinkin of? If you can swing it go with 8" if you can. I think 305 and 315s will last longer on 8-10" wide rims compared to the stock 7" ones.

jrc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.