Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

It's time to change sides

905 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  amdriven2liv 
#1 ·
Well guys right now I have a 1996 dodge diesel. But I'm ready to move on to better things. I'm gonna get an 05 or 06 f250. Anything I need to know to look for or be worried about when shopping for one?

Thanks,
Jordan

G
#5 ·
It's a report that shows everything that was done under warranty at the dealership.. It will give you some good information as to how many times the truck has been in for repair and what was done to it.. Go to the Oasis part of the forum and ask for a report when you have a VIN# on a truck that your interested in.. Your local dealer will also give you one for free..

#8 ·
Find yourself a Scangauge II, or Edge Insight CS/CST and test the ECT (coolant) vs. EOT (oil temp) spread on what ever you are looking at. The temp differences between the 2 shouldn't be more than 15* apart. Make sure to get the truck up to operating temps during this test. Level ground (as much as you can) highway speeds. Operating temps should be up to at least 190 ECT.

There have been reports of people shopping this either of these 2 gauges and have found some trucks with spreads of 25* and higher.

Then what ever you end up with for a truck, you will have gauges for it.

Scangauge II = $169 (SGII does not read EGTs or Fuel pressure)

Edge Insight will run you more, like $380 + probes for EGT and fuel pressure.

EGT=exhaust gas temps.

Here is a list of just some of the gauges a SGII will read.

Buying used 6.0 tips:

Buying a USED 6.0L - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Enjoy shopping!

G
#7 ·
Maintenance on a 6.0 is key, more than any other motor.. I would not buy a used 6.0 without having maintenance reciepts.. Coolant needs to be flushed every 50K or the oil cooler will get plugged and destroy the EGR cooler and if not repaired in time will blow head gaskets.. The 6.0 likes OEM filters.. There are many oils you can use but it needs to have the CJ-4 rating on it.. The 6.0depends on good/clean quality diesel oil to run properly.. Do some searching here there's a ton of information a person needs to know before they buy one..

#9 ·
I was gonna suggest the same thing. You want to know that the oil cooler and egr cooler are not plugged before buying. They are expensive and a lot of labor so its not a job you want to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.