Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

RSK spring bolts

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom S 
#1 ·
Ok. I am in the middle of my RSK install and my Dana 60 swap.

You have to drill out the new shackles to accept a 5/8 bolt for the new SD spring. I have the 5/8 bolts and a drill bit.

You have to also drill out the RSK to accept the larger SD bolt size. It is metric. It appears to me 18mm. Well the hardware stores around me dont have metric grade 8 hardware so I am looking to go SAE. 18mm closest thing in SAE is 11/16. But again, not finding ANY 11/16 no less grade 8. I was thinking about going up to a 3/4 bolt. I would just have to open up the spring bushing a lil bit. But then again, having a hard time finding a 5.5" grade 8 3/4" bolt.

Ford wants $15 PER BOLT and $4 per nut and i wouldnt get them till tuesday. i want to be driving this later today.

So what all have you guys been doing?

HELP

#2 · (Edited)
I ended up going 3/4". I went to Fastenal to get them. Do you have a TSC/Farm King in your area? A CAT/heavy equipment/OH Truck dealer? I have seen 3/4" grade 8's in my area at all the mentioned stores, GL!

Actually, I just took a look and I used Grade 5's.

#3 ·
I ended up going 3/4". I went to Fastenal to get them. Do you have a TSC/Farm King in your area? A CAT/heavy equipment/OH Truck dealer? I have seen 3/4" grade 8's in my area at all the mentioned stores, GL!
Yeah. I got a TSC near me. I'll call and see if they have the length i need.

Thanks

#4 ·
I went with all metric hardware from a large nut and bolt manufacturer here. Had a machinist at work drill everything out to the corresponding sizes.

Shawn

#5 ·
I went to my Cat dealer and got all my bolts from them, they had everything in stock.

FYI mertic doesn't use the same grading system as english. A grade 8 bolt in mertric would be class 10.9. They will have this number stamped on the bolt head somewhere.

#7 ·
The spring shop here in Denver has those bolts.

#9 ·
They have the metric spring bolts. I asked the last time I was in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.