Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Towing Gears

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Redneck6.0L 
#1 ·
:ford:Question? My truck is equiped with 4.10 gears. I would like to swap them to a 3.73. It pulls very easy no matter what the load. But the highway milage unloaded is crap. My 04 F250 had 3.73's in it. Milage was much better, but never towed with it? Will these gears effect my ability to tow...say up to 15k lbs?

#2 ·
I have 4.10's and it pulls GREAT.
But my truck is also 12k everyday and I also tow a 10k dump trailer.
It is going to be big $ to change both the front and rear gears.
The saving in mpg most likely will not pay for the swap.

#3 ·
Work&Play...apppreciate the input. How do you like the powermax turbo? Any diffrence in power? spool up on takeoff?

#4 ·
I like it a LOT
It helped with power and also lowered my EGTS.
I put it in last fall and is was good but I just got Matt to send me some new tunes for it and it woke it up quite a bit.
Plus it sounds SWEET, it tunes heads all the time. :evil

#5 ·
On a side note how are doing with all the flooding down your way?

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I have been interested for awhile on the powermax. No flooding here. I am in the hilly part of Louisiana. But I do have family that lives right besides the levee, around New Orleans. Havent heard what they plan yet. Its not gonna be pretty for the southern part of the state.

#8 ·
I had an 02 7.3 with the 3.73 gears that got the same mileage and seemed to have about hte same power as my 04 with the 4.10 gears. The 7.3 with a tuner had about the same power as my 04 6.0 untuned. Personally I like the 4.10 gears it comes off the line much better and being in Colorado I do most of pulling above 7K ft the 4.10's for me are much better.

#9 ·
We had a 2007 with 4.10, we put the 3.73 in it, I like the 3.73 better, but I run 75-80, never ran it with out trailer but Im sure it would help the mileage, it would take a long time to pay back, If you pull less than 15k it's worth the change, over 15 keep the 4.10.

#16 ·
used gears can lead to noise issues. i would either find complete axles or buy new gears. typically you can find a complete axle for what the gears and install would cost

#11 ·
Thanks everyone. The cost of gears is more than expected! Wow! Alot of labor too! Guess I need to slow it down. Speed limit over here is 75mph now. It really turns some RPM in that range. Cruise control on the smaller hwy's 55-60 will leave me around 17-18mpg. Will stick with the 4.10's. Its a pulling bitch with those!!!

#12 ·
Another option is when you need tires, step up in tire size. The larger circumference provides an overdrive effect to the rpm. Don't go drastic but maybe in 1-2 tire sizes.
To get the tire size you want, you may have to change wheels as well. Something else to keep in mind.

#13 ·
If you go bigger tires you need wheel spacers, and only see 50rmps with the 285/70r17. They look good with that set up, 1.5" wheel spacer to fit the tires with a load on it.

#14 ·
Thats something I will look in to!! Think it would look better with the wheel wells filled a little more. Course my new tires...all 6 have less than 2500 miles on them! LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.