Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Trans Builders Please Reply

879 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  highfive 
#1 ·
I have my trans apart on the table, going to order parts on Mon. The forward clutches looked good. Overdrive, intermdiate are smoked. I also smoked another T.C. This last rebuild with some stock parts lasted me about 3 rough years. I am going to improve some things this time. What are the best clutch packs to go with?? I have decided between, Red Alto's or Z-PAKS (blue). I would appreciate any input.

#2 ·
No issues with several builds I have done using the alto powerpacks but if I had all the time in the world I would do a hybrid setup machining the drums and pressure plates to add extra oem style plates where I could and alto powerpacks where I couldn't.

Seems like the most critical elements are setting the clearances on the packs, doing all the upgrades for planetaries and sprags and having a good valve body setup and torque converter.

Sounds like you got it hot and melted that drainback valve to smoke the OD clutch?

The intermediate seems to get smoked on every stock build, using M2 to hold back a load usually takes it out.

I run hybrids and a d66 copy while pulling my 10k+ toy hauler in OD all day long and never get over 160 degrees.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input, I wish i had all the time and money too! The planetaries and sprags were all improved on the last build. I went with the 45 element sprag That seems to be holding up fine. The t.c. was my weakest link last time, hopefully a billet front will hold up longer this time. I know that i got the trans too hot a couple times, I will go back through the valve body again and make sure i didnt miss anything. More input will be appreciated, keep it coming. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.