Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

oddball will it fit question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  fifty 
#1 ·
On my 2002 de-duallied dually, I am running the stock D80 out back, and am running 2 inch spacers up front to even it all out...Oh and a 4.5 inch lift, shackle hanger type etc...

I currently have 2007 Factory Ford 20's on it, but I am wanting to go with Toyo MT in 37's...
I am planning on going with BMF SOTA's, I was hoping to do a 20x10...

So the BS for the 20x10 is 4.5 I think...

Does anyone know if I will be able to run this with my weird spacer application (I am thinking that the front axle now matches the width of an 05+ axle, as the factory 20's fit like they do on a newer truck.)

Here are pics as it sits now...

Side pic of the front:

Frontal pic of front:

Side pic of rear:

Pic from the rear:

And please, if my feeble attempt at trying to convey what I am trying to do and my questions about it, are confusing, please let me know what I need to clarify....Aka, fell free to ask questions about details...

See less See more
#2 ·
You're a little wider than an '05 actually. You want to keep the '05+ spacing which would be like 5.25" BS on a 10" wheel. A 9" wheel would be 4.5" BS. The stock '05-up 8" wide wheels are 5-ish already.

If the priority is 37s, use the wheels you have the way you have them configured right now, you won't have much if any issue with rubbing.

If you really want wheels, you need to think in terms of getting rid of the spacers up front for safety and load capacity, and in the rear, you need to think about installing a SRW axle to narrow the rear track width so you can run the same spacing front and rear and they won't be sticking out excessively.

#3 ·
I am having a hard time finding a 20x10 wheel with even a 5 inch BS let alone a 5.25 BS...

As for the 37 on the stock wheel, they are 20x8 which is way to skinny for a 37x13.5 tire (website says it calls for an 8.5-11 inch wheel). I hate the sway feel of a wide tire on a skinny rim. Not to mention the quick center wear.

I have the goeske spacers up front, they are the hubcentric ones. I am not too worried about them being safe, especially considering how much smaller they are than the stock dually front spacer.

If I have to get rid of the spacers to run the larger wheel tire combo, then I may have to look into having the rear axle cut/ welded and custom shafts made... See how that compares cost wise to finding/shipping on a sterling.

There is not a huge supply of used superduty parts in my area.

#5 ·
BMF lists the 20x10 as a -19mm offset, on a 10" wheel that's about 5.25" back spacing. The thing with back spacing is wheel manufacturers usually try to keep it close to the same even as the wheel gets wider. In some cases they are actually looking to move the wheel further out. If you add width equally to both sides, you start running out of room inside the wheel well and the inside of the tire starts rubbing things like the leaf spring. On your setup, you're already moved way out relative to a 99-04 SRW so you have to find the wheel with the most backspacing for the width you want to pull the wheel back in. If you continue to move the tire outward the scrub radius and the load on the bearings and ball joints and steering components will go way up under even normal unloaded operation and you can create new issues with how the truck responds to steering input.

I understand the concern with a 13.5 on an 8" rim. You'd want a 12.5 for the stock wheel, and there are even some if not many who will argue that is still too wide for an 8" rim. I run 12.5 width tires on an 8" rim, 45000 miles and over 3 years trouble and issue free.

#6 ·
Idaho-

Thanks for the help on this...I really appreciate it!

I just rechecked BMF's website. They list their 20x10's as having a -19 offset being a 4.75 inch bs:

660B-010817019
20x10

S.O.T.A.
DEATH METAL BLACK

8x170 bolt pattern

4.75 bs

-19 offset

125.20 mm hub bore

21x21x11
1999 - UP FORD 3/4 TON 1 TON 8 LUG TRUCKS-SUV'S

I may be looking more towards the RBP's as they do offer a 0 offset in 20x10.

As for the front axle...when the wife finally graduates school and goes back to work, I am going to go to a 05+ front axle and PMF's coilovers. I was weighing doing the 10.5 rear swap or cutting and shortening the D80, but my end goal is the bigger front brakes, better turning and the coilover set up...

So if the front bearings can last me another year I am good...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.