Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The ultimate 6.0 tune is it possible?

14K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  6speedSD 
#1 ·
Lets pick some of the tuners brains here guys.

Ive been thinking about the ultimate stock truck file.

Would it be possible to build a 420hp file that is capable of towing safely?

Is the mapping possible?

For this experiment we will assume the driver will not use his right foot as a throttle on off switch.

He will drive like a normal human being

#3 ·
Intake and exhaust are a given

#5 ·
I do the same thing Rich. I just figured I would start some discussion because so many say it isnt possible

#8 ·
10-12k

#9 ·
IMO its not a problem with the current tuning, its not to heavy for a stock turbo. If you said 20K Lbs then yes things would have to be changed. But then it really wouldnt be a race tune anyways because a race tune is supposed to be optimised to be the fastest possible anyways not a compromise between the two..... Idk thats just how I see it.

#10 ·
No way Jose . Every 6.0 I've had would puke and run hot or the fans would come on within 45 minutes of towing anything without studs and egr delete . They have to be a constant as well. No offense to the op but a tuned egr equipped stock head bolt 6.0 is a ticking time bomb

#12 ·
I ran my race tune nonstop for 40k miles. I popped the headgaskets hotrodding it so that was my fault. Other than that it was the best tune I ever ran in my 6.0. It gave the best mileage, towing power, coolest egts while towing, etc.

#13 ·
You mean....the ignorant people who buy an intake exhaust and progrmmer before egr delete and studs with no warranty ? Some kahones to take a big black 5,000 bill/dildo up the ass, or maybe Just you goose

#14 ·
You mean....the ignorant people who buy an intake exhaust and progrmmer before egr delete and studs with no warranty ? Some kahones to take a big black 5,000 bill/dildo up the ass
I think he meant the people who know the limits of the truck and don't feel the need to tow 80mph with 15k behind them. People that tow like its an unloaded truck are only asking for trouble. I'm not too proud when it comes to towing, I don't have to be first at the top of the hill, I just don't wanna be last LOL

#16 ·
Doesn't matter. Without an egr delete ad studs a tuned 6.0 towing is a boat without a paddle. It's stupid to have to drive around the flaws of your motor because it will run hot with a tune. So it's like saying, here's your new tune! Don't take advantage of it by letting your engine use all that newly found fuel timing and air! If you have an egr equipped 6.0 with stock bolts keep it stock orelse feel your net worth go down everytime you push it beyond the big toe lol.

#20 ·
Really? Are you sure about all that?
Cause if memory serves me right...I ran 92,000 miles almost ALL of it tuned. First with an Edge/Attitude then an SCT with race tunes....towing whatever I wanted wherever I wanted and never ONCE had an issue.
My motor came out at 92K and got studded then ONLY because I was putting big injectors in....head gaskets were perfect. One of the very first sets of 6.0 injectors ever made actually.
It NEVER had an EGR delete on it...just old school welded up-pipe and blocked off cooler.
I'll spare you the details of what happened after that but you guys saying you HAVE TO HAVE an EGR delete and studs before you do ANYTHING are full of
sh!t.
You're regurgitating crap you read on the internet with no basis in fact.
Rumormongers....nothing else.

If I bought another 6.0 today it would get intake, exhaust and SCT tomorrow and I wouldn't worry a god damned bit.

#17 ·
I honestly don't see where using a little common sense will hurt with stock bolts and the egr in place. If you run the guts out of one just because its studded and deleted its gonna let you down also lol

FWIW, I ran a little over 30k of my 40k tuned on stock bolts and the egr still in place.

#18 ·
Don't get me wrong. Sure you can run it. And no, common sense while driving won't Hurt it will definitely help. But you start to expect your engine to be able to take a little more and a little more. I ran 35 k with egr on place stock head bolts and a tune but I KNEW I had a egr delete and studs ready to go for when the gaskets went, as well as warranty and a ford tech ready to do it all for 100 bucks, just trying to warn those who think they can tune a 6.leaker With no consequences.

#21 ·
That's good for you. I am not a rumor monger. I am sharing my own experience with 4+ 6.0s not just my truck. Don't call me full of #### either Richard, you cheater, you're full of ####, I about creamed my pants when I saw you swear your retirement as soon as psn was sold. Just because your pos is sill running doesn't mean everyone elses will react the same, nor does it mean you should call me full of ####. We both bad deferent experiences and this is the place to share. Take the dick out your ass and put it on your mouth next time you see me post

#31 ·
My 06 has had our race file on it for 100k miles. Pulls 12-14k a couple times a week. Puked around 20k after pulling 12k up a 7% grade over 4 miles long. Studded it and blocked the EGR at that point and not had a single issue since.

I dont typically recommend towing w/ a race file, as you are more likely to leak past the gaskets at that point w/o studs. ive had a lot of customers pull more weight than me w/o studs on the same files and never have an issue, but i still dont recommend it. Doesnt mean plenty havent had good luck doing so tho.

That being said, i cant stand to tow w/ anything less than a race file. A 6.0 with a stock file or a tow file and stock injectors simply doesnt make enough power at 1800-2000 rpms to pull without downshifting, at least not to my liking. A racefile gives it more of a 7.3 feel where you can pull heavy weight up a hill in overdrive without losing speed or having to downshift and run higher rpms. The key to pulling with a race file is a very linear fueling and throttle response, where you control heat and power with your right foot, not the tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.