Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Traction bars?

5K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  6.4Strokin 
#1 ·
Just got a ready lift 2.5" sst kit w/ 35s. Do you think I will need traction bars for my truck now?

#3 ·
Ok. What company do you recommend for a good price? Just bars I already have the 4" blocks.

#6 ·
I just installed a set of PMF myself.. Work awesome. Give Trevor a call.

#7 ·
How are pro comps? They are a pretty well known brand and they aren't crazy expensive.

#8 ·
I prefer cal tracs personally. I don't go off road thou, the lift in my avatar is off. Only flaw with cal tracs is ground clearance, only an issue if you off road. They are cheap to buy, but there design and quality is awesome and they actually stock parts so your not waiting weeks for parts unlike OUO. I've used pro comp bars and they worked great, there is better out there that's all.

#10 ·
Guess it depends on what ur getting from OUO and their current stock of parts. I ordered OUO ALA's and 6" traction blocks from them last Friday and they will be here Monday. Not too bad considering the cross country journey the parts are on right now. Guess they had my stuff on the shelf.

#18 ·
The bars seem to calm down the harsh shifting issues guys are having. After I installed my OUO bars my truck felt like a stock shifting truck. No more bone jarring shifts.
Adjustable OUO bars will run around $1000. Well worth it IMHO.

#14 ·
Still working on getting my PMF's installed. I have the 5" block in, just had a lot of issues getting the front pivot on the bars in right. Awesome product, but part of them should be assembled before they are shipped, IMO. Trevor has been good to deal with.

#17 ·
i got ouo bars the adjustable bars and they worked great ai put one on last nite and im going to put the other one on right now. first one went in awesome

#23 ·
Small gusset here. No pics 100% installed as I'm not that far yet. But the blocks and frame mount are in.

#27 ·
Call Calvert Racing and tell them your year, make, model, block height, and if you have overload springs and they will set you all up. That's what I did and mine are good to go. Also they shipped them out next day and arrived at my house in Canada 5 days later, that's fast in my books.

#26 ·
What I recommend and run on one of my personal trucks is the OUO bars.

As far as OUO availability......they are built in groupings so lead time can vary as some times they are in stock and other times they are still being built.

You can either get them with weld-on mounts:
http://www.trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2616&idcategory=366

Bolt-on mounts:
http://www.trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2615&idcategory=366

Or Traction Blocks:
http://www.trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2612&idcategory=420

#30 ·
Is there any differance in performance between the bolt-on kits or the weld-on kits and the traction blocks? I was going to do it myself and just thought that I could do the bolt-on kits. How big of a project would it be to put this on my truck? I dont have a shop of anything just wondering if it was something I could do out in the driveway? Also, this might be a dumb question but would it matter if i dont have a lift for my truck? I dont really have the money to put a lift on right now I was just wanting some added support when I pull trailers?

#31 ·
It isn't that hard at all. You could do it in your driveway. As long as it is flat. You need a good jack and a couple jackstands. Hardest part is drilling the like 16 holes in the frame for the front mount.

I would just contact DCspecial or trucktoyz and ask about getting a set that could be upgraded when you get a lift.

#33 ·
Hardest part is drilling the like 16 holes in the frame for the front mount.
There are 5 or so pre existing holes (at least on my truck) on each side of the bottom of the framerail. Just curious what you guys did to drill out the ones that landed halfway on a hole?

#40 ·
Are the OUO traction bars about the best on the market now? I was lookin at them and there are short and long bars and I was looking at the longer bars didn't know if there was any differance?

#42 ·
I believe OUO is the best on the market. Others may recommend PMF. Call Truck Toyz Performance and they'll hook you up with exactly what you need for OUO bars.

#41 ·
get the longer ones if ur towing. Mine run all the way up to where my back door is hinged. (crew cab)
When i was all said and done they measured 7 ft
I towed all day with them today stoplight after stoplight and i LOVE them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.