Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

"Special" 38r Turbos

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  mattr66 
#1 ·
I stumbled on some sweet turbos and need to get a hands up of who would want these.

These are the old school (best quality) 38r turbos that have been in the back of a shop for over 5 years. They are brand new, just the turbos only not a complete kit (you can source clamps and intake boot yourself). They have been fully spin balanced so they will be the quietest 38r turbos you have every heard. I personally run one on my daily driver and you can barely tell it isn't a stock turbo.

I can snatch 4 of these if anyone is interested. Looking to get $1400 shipped. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Let me know if anyone wants one.

#5 ·
Wow! Great deal!

#7 ·
Just curious what is the difference between the old style and the new style 38r's?

#8 ·
i know my original plan was a t4 set up to match with my 250/100s, your cam and tunes. but money is gettin tight with the bts and garage build haha. would it be a complete waste to skip the t4 set up and go with this drop in or wait another week and do a 4202??

#10 ·
weekend toy, occasional fair sled pull. no competition pulling. maybe down the track to see what it does. and tow a 18ft enclosed once in a while.

#12 ·
ok thanks matt. disregard that call earlier

#19 ·
A 38R or a "Special" 38R? I'm pissed that this is the 1nth time I've heard about a "Special" 38R. Mine could use a muffler.

#20 ·
Quite 38R?? Cool I never heard a quiet 38r that could get plenty of air. But I have not been around the high tech 7.3 world that much.
What years where they made?

#25 ·
Yes you can pay to send your Turbo, you first have to purchase, into to Garrett and have them do it. Given the cost you pay for 38r plus add in shipping both ways plus the cost you can have the special. Given the cost theae are being offered at good luck. Not to mention you have to wonder if the qualitiy of the parts on these are just of a higher quality.

Obviously I can not speak for Matt but I very much doubt given he found these in storage that there's any chance of 1.15 housings not to mention the nation wide shortage of them in general as well as other garret frame Turbo housing of that same ratio. Any found are swallowtail all at full retail MSRP or more.

#30 ·
Sometimes patience does pay!! I just spent 2 years building my motor, then the bearings on my 38R failed right before I left for Africa on a 1 year tour with the Navy and had to put the stocker back on:(. I have spent the last 8 months or so kind of lurking in the shadows for a deal on a 38R. And the noise was cool for about the first 10,000 miles, but now that I am becoming an old man, :pointlaugh: a Quiet 38R would be music to my ears. Just need to check with my CFO, and I will take one! :D

PM Sent

#32 ·
Thanks Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.