Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lifting the Cab

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  powerstrokedkid87 
#1 ·
Im thinking about lifting the cab. I have a 2 post lift at my shop. Now before i ask, i have already searched and found some threads which are helpful. Im looking for any tricks/tips to lifting the cab on your own. Any special tools that are an absolute must besides the tranny line tool? And what fluids do i need to drain. Also wheres the best place to find said parts? Sorry for so many questions, just a little skeptical as to whether i can do this at my own shop or not.

#2 ·
You can found the entire removing procedure on Ytube. clear step by step instructions

#3 ·
you dont need the trans too either, i just took my lines off at the cooler, pliers works for that

Did you download the cab removal proceedure from the site? It pretty much does it step by step

Only recomendation i have is on the cab bolts, just take the head lights out and try to hold the nut first off before you round them off, some guys peal the carpet back and heat the nuts first and then they are good, up to you though some get lucky some dont

be careful with the heater hoses on the plastic tubes, but buy some before you do it that way you have them if needed. You'll have to have the a/c evacuated somewhere as well as charged when your done.

i cant think of anything else right now, if you have basic mechanic skills you can do it, they really arent that bad.

#5 ·
you dont need the trans too either, i just took my lines off at the cooler, pliers works for that

Did you download the cab removal proceedure from the site? It pretty much does it step by step

Yes ive got those downloaded. just wanted to see if anyone else had some more input or tips.

Only recomendation i have is on the cab bolts, just take the head lights out and try to hold the nut first off before you round them off, some guys peal the carpet back and heat the nuts first and then they are good, up to you though some get lucky some dont

be careful with the heater hoses on the plastic tubes, but buy some before you do it that way you have them if needed. You'll have to have the a/c evacuated somewhere as well as charged when your done.

i cant think of anything else right now, if you have basic mechanic skills you can do it, they really arent that bad.
Why are you pulling it?
If i can get the cab pulled possibly studs, egr delete, and turbo. Still unsure.

#4 ·
Why are you pulling it?

#6 ·
Take the cab mount bolts out by hand. DO NOT use air tools. ThAt Wilkerson out the ears that hold the nut inside. Ask me how I know

#8 ·
How long should it take to lift the cab the "first" time? Ive read the procedure in the library, and it seems to be pretty involved. Say if I had all the necessary parts, gaskets, and tools on hand. Could egr delete wastegate, studs, rails be done in two full days?

#12 ·
you dont need any special tools (unless you want to get fancy with the injector harness). majority od the tools you will be using are 10mm's, 13mm's and a few 8mm's.

Take the cab mount bolts out by hand. DO NOT use air tools. ThAt Wilkerson out the ears that hold the nut inside. Ask me how I know
:whs:
clean them up real good with a wire brush or a wire wheel from a bench grinder.

How long should it take to lift the cab the "first" time? Ive read the procedure in the library, and it seems to be pretty involved. Say if I had all the necessary parts, gaskets, and tools on hand. Could egr delete wastegate, studs, rails be done in two full days?
took me about 2 hrs my first time (slight help with someone pointing the finger). this also depends if the heads check out okay and wont need milling. it also depends on how busy your local machine shop is.

if you are just putting on studs without taking the heads off and doing it cab off, i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get it running by the end of a LONG day.

#13 ·
you dont need any special tools (unless you want to get fancy with the injector harness). majority od the tools you will be using are 10mm's, 13mm's and a few 8mm's.

:whs:
clean them up real good with a wire brush or a wire wheel from a bench grinder.

took me about 2 hrs my first time (slight help with someone pointing the finger). this also depends if the heads check out okay and wont need milling. it also depends on how busy your local machine shop is.

if you are just putting on studs without taking the heads off and doing it cab off, i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get it running by the end of a LONG day.
how safe is it to just replace the head bolts with head studs without pulling the heads?

#15 ·
Thanks, man does that seem like a tedious process, i may wait to do everything at once when i pull the cab off :rolleyes:

#16 ·
The first time putting in new studs is a long process, bu it sounds worse then it actually is. The process of doing it cab on vs cab off is probably the same amount of time (studs only) but you have a lot of room to work with.

Word of advice is to comets on side at a time. Within worse then jumping back and forth and looking for tools

#19 ·
im looking to pull the cab and do my head studs on my 06....im tired of waiting for my buddy to make room in his shop haha...anyone know if its possible to do this with out a lift?...i was thinking take the bed off the truck...then lift the cab and slide it back and just rest it on the frame where the bed sites...anyone have any thoughts about it?....i have access to a small crane..and cherry picker as well as many roided friends so lifting the wieght i do not think will be a problem...the possibility of it...thats a different story....any info is appreciated...

#20 ·
I had a guy do my 6.0 studs at his house he just jacked up the cab 4" for that little extra room...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.