Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

TS chip burner problem

8K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  V-Ref 
#1 ·
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and now it doesnt work. I googled it and find its something involved with ActiveX but im stumped past that. I called TS and they really werent able to help. Can anyone give me some insight?

When i open the program this is the message that pops up:

Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

edit- forgot to mention that i un-installed and re-installed it a couple times on my computer with same results. Also installed on a brand new machine with Windows 7 and it gets the same thing. Does not work on the Vista machine either. I may try it on a few computers at work tomorrow if i dont get it figured out tonight, i'd really like to get these new files on the chip!

#2 ·
Mine works with no issues on vista but it did take a number of file upgrades. First were the ones from the instructions that are in the folder it tells you to find them in. Then there was some win updates it needed but that is just running win update. Make sure on the vista one that you have those correct ports available. In the beginning the range of ports it could choose from were all taken. I ended up having to clear or move a differnet device to a new port to allow the burner program to be linked to one of the ports in its list.

For your issue with the mscomctl.occasion thisis a common issue in win 7 not actually something specific to only the burner prrogram. In the future you can ussually find the answered to issues like these with windows by simply Googling the error message or the specific file named there in. In this case error message:

Component 'mscomctl.ocx'or oneof itsdependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Or just file name:

Mscomctl.ocx

To atempt to correct this you need to register the library filesor component that have become unregistered. To do this do the following :

To correct the error, first search your drive for MSCOMCTL.OCX to see if you have it. If not you can download it from HERE

The file should be placed in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. Or, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 if you are using WinXP.

Once it is there click START--> RUN and type "REGSVR32 MSCOMCTL.OCX" (No quotes) in the box.

That should fix this specific problem.

#3 ·
The module "MSCOMCTL.OCX" may not be compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe.

#4 ·
Prob it right there tram prob was on a 32bit wist a machine yours is prob a 64.

Wonder if the new windows version you have can run it as a xp mode.
Certain versions can...maybe pm your burner vendor see if something can be downloaded to update. Others maybe time to buy ye old cheapy lused laptop
Running xp.

#6 ·
The issue is with those directions is that it seems to happen to various files in the library not just a single specific one all the time. Bills directions are basically the same as mine but with the substitution of a different offeneding .ocx file. There is no ryhm or reason i hhave figured out on which file ends up having the issue but the one that does needs to be addressed. IMO rather than using one on the hdHD if found is to download the correct one for the version of Windows that is installed on the computer.

#8 ·
It actually was the most stable win since 3.1 lol are you old enough to remember those? Or before that when it was all command line dose and Cordelia programs like wordperfect lol

#13 ·
Windows 3.1? Pfftt you haven't lived until you used the Lotus Magellan OS! My first box was an 286 with a massive 20 or 30 megabyte hard drive that plugged into an ISA card that plugged into the mother board. Ah those were the days! Now the cell phone I carry on my belt could replace a room full of those boxes....

#10 ·
Yep I still recall how cool it liked and the horror of installing win 95 from floppies. All 20 of them. Only took 3-8 hrs LOL please insert disc 13 then 17 then back to 13 then 18 then 13 again no 17 this time no now back to 14. LOL

My first computer was a Texas Instrument used a tape player with casette tape as a media then a huge jump forward with the big 5.25" floppies. You could cut a notch in the other side and make the dual side for double the capacity for a whooping 220 KB. I won't even go to tthe older 8"

I still remeber whwhat a huge step win 3.1was and that was put on the newly created laptops even some cool smaller faster ones that came thru darpa

#11 ·
Luke, if you still having problems, you might try this:

To correct the error, first search your drive for MSCOMCTL.OCX to see if you have it. If not you can download it from HERE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/mscomctl.zip

The file should be placed in your C:WINDOWSSYSTEM directory.
Once it is there click START--> RUN and type "REGSVR32 MSCOMCTL.OCX" (No quotes) in the box to register this control.
That should fix the problem.

Or please register this control under Administrator role.
! If you have any feedback, please tell us.

Everyone always forgets to mention the "Administrator role" or, like here, people overlook it.

RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

This worked for me beautifully. Get the afrementioned zip, extract to said directory ( C:WINDOWSSYSTEM directory. ) And instead of doing the "Start > Run" go to Start > Programs > Accessories > LEFT CLICK ON "Command Prompt" and choose "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

I repeat, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

then use "CD C:Windowssystem"

NOT system32

Then "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx"

Done.

*Edit:* FYI This was done on a Windows7 x64 Ult machine
Sometimes, running the commands as "Administrator" will take care of this problem.

#12 ·
Yep I to was just making that assumption as when trouble shooting its SOP but forget BDUs do not usually know that.

#15 ·
Ha I almost forgot about lotus

Man are we starting to make ourselves look old.

#20 ·
no chit...

I've got 3 gd PC's that I can't get my burner to work on...all running windows7...

I'm about to offer Bill $xxxx/hr to log in remotely to get this chit fixed...........so...effing...tired....of this chit.

been fugging with it for 2-3 months...

#25 ·
Sounds like HRT is thinking its a PEBCAK issue. Those are much harder to fix sometimes impossible.

Problem Exsists Between Chair And Keyboard

LOL LOL

#26 ·
Well i upgraded to windows 7 professional so that i could run the program in XP or what ever windows platform i wanted and apparently it still needs this damn file. Wish i could find someone local who could fix this!

#27 ·
how is the TS performance chip because thats what im thinking about putting in my truck, can u just get the chip or do you have to buy a programmer with it??

#28 ·
I dont use any of the TS files, only custom stuff. You can buy just the chip and get it with our without programs. The TS burner comes with a bunch of programs for stock injectored trucks. I am not sure what they cost anymore.

#30 ·
Hey I have Ine working on almost the worst windows os ever vista so.....

If all you guys need is a good version of a certain file I would be happy to make a copy of whatever onto a cd and mail it to anyone or put it up on the web for you to download. One thing I think would eleiminate other things cuasing issues: if you can is restore the laptop pc back to factory condition. Wipe it and reload it clean. That way we know exactly what we are dealing with. I wish some of you were closer and I would come over and get it running. I could remote in. The only issue with that is the likely multiple rebota that are gona need to happen. It would have to be setilup to allow remote auto on boot up with the admin account

#31 ·
On a vista laptop, I would have to use the cd and it worked fine. TS pro was installed, but it wouldn't work. Had to use the cd each time.

Haven't tried it with the windows 7 laptop yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.