Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Vibration at highway speeds

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Betaracer 
#1 ·
I've had this issue since I bought my truck. It has a vibration from 70-80mph. The strange thing is that it varies in severity and at what speed it happens. I have replaced the tires since I bought the truck and that made no change. I have also replaced the shocks as well. Also no change. Any ideas? As it is now I just drive 65mph but when I pass the vibration can be pretty nasty at times. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Front or rear?

To many things until you can narow it down some.

Brake dragging, unit bearing, ball joint, drive shaft, stuck or locked hub, tie rod ends or joints, alignment, etc

#3 ·
what tires do you have on the truck?
continentials were recalled and will cause the truck to jump at higher speeds when going over a bump and also will cause the truck to have a bad wobble. had continentials on my truck up unti 2 weeks ago put 08 superduty wheels with goodyear tires, no wobble at any speeds, and no jumping. and i travel highway

#4 ·
goodyear wrangler dura trac tires..have pulled and ballanced them twice... last time I had it up on the lift the front end was tight ... tierod ends balljoints wheel bearings etc. no dragging breaks.... my left front hub has been acting a little funny tho. Made some grinding sounds a couple weeks ago cycled it a few times and no problems since, manual hubs, also heard some crunching from that same side last time I was plowing... but the u-joint on that side is good for sure?

#5 ·
What about alignment and make sure they do it to spec first then change only if needed.

I would be thinking about that unit bearing that madesome noise. Many times.they will seem fine right until they go out. Only indicator being a slight tight spot or noise when turned that comes and goes. I went 4 months on one that was going out. Only a vibration at speed and a small noise when hand rotated until the day it blew and I had to tow it home

#6 ·
Ohhhh man! here we go... I've been looking up some symptoms and I have been experiencing most. Just seems spooky that with the truck up on a lift that the tire wouldn't rock but they could still be on thier way? Any solid diagnostics? I have a Ford extended power train warranty are these usually covered?

#8 ·
wtf just noticed my sig is gone..... truck is a regular cab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.