Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

rear 30mm sway bar

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
I installed a used 30mm sway bar on the rear end on my Ex and it looks a little funny to me. When i connect the sway bar end links it rotates the bar down. Should the front of the sway bar (where the end links connect) be level or does it angle down at a 45ish deg angle?

hope i made sense. I'll try to take some pics and post them later.

#4 ·
Yeh it should be fine. Not that I can see how but could you have something backwards or reversed? What truck model and year did you pull the sway off of?

#5 ·
I'll have to post some pics tomorrow. It just looks odd to me. A buddy got tit for me for helping him out. it's almost like the end links are to long.

#6 ·
The links are too long. Same thing happened with my swap. There are different length end links out there. The sway bar should be level. I ended up cutting my links and welding them to be shorter. I posted about it and I beleive that post had the year and length of the proper links as well. I will look for it.
Here it is check this thread out: Rear Sway Bar....will it fit? - PowerStrokeNation

It shows how I modified mine, but in a later post, someone with the same problem as you and I just purchased links for an Excursion from the dealer.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Yep that was why I asked about what they came off of. The 350 IIRC use longer end links as they have taller blocks and spring packs. Now its not an issue if you do the V/B spring swaps as you are going up as well. But with stock I think you would need either a 250 end link or the actual X links

#8 ·
Tarm, I'm diggin that setup you got on your avatar. What exactly is that. What suspension, wheels (size and offset), tires? And does it really work? Can you cycle that suspension off road without major binding/rubbing?

#9 ·
ahhh ok. that makes sense.

one of these days when i get some extra $$$ i will do the V/B code swap and get some new shocks from Cary. I love the way his Ex sits.

here is the pic.

#11 ·
I agree.or get the correct ones.

The x in my avatar is actually a friends from iceland but mine basically the same except I went with bw flares where his are from Iceland the home of wheel flares period. I tried to have some sent toto me but the cost was not worth it. Yes it is fully useable and is used often by him out in the glaciers and tundra. Those are interco 38x14.5x20. The lift is about 3 inches. No rubbing. I have a ton of pics I can post for ya. Let me dig them up. But even the color of ours X are the same. His was my motivation that started mine. I had asked him if I could use his as my avatar as it was my goal. Those guys over there no what real 4x4n is trust me. Also full sized trucks and such like the X are super popular.

Mine has 40x14.5x20 Intercourse M16 mounted on Fuel Hostage 20x12 wheels. V codes up front with 4" hanger kit from PMF. In the rear the longer 08 f code springs modded with cut stock Excursion leafs and 5" block. Custom valved Blistiens from obswiz(Cary) all around. Bushwhackers Cutout Flare front and rear. Hydro assist steering. Gtx4294r 1.15 t4, 475/200 fast modded from Nate, shimmed 910s, DI push rods, custom fuel system, 4" Turbo back exhaust, afe Big Boost intake filter, Matt@geathead does all my tuning and I strongly recommendd him

I guess I really need to get my sig up. I am still in the process of installing the suppension parts and just finished all the engine mods. Have all the suspension part left to go in laying on the garage floor. LOL

The suspension changes I made give my X even more travel and the min amount of room needed to fit the large 40s with no rub. Cary was a huge help allowing me to bounce ideas off and telling me the positives and negatives of my choices. He ultimately guided me to what I ended up going with. My goal was tobget the most ground clearance and travel with the lowest center of gravity. With 40s I only running 4" over a stock super duty height but have axle clearance from the 40s that.most are running 10"+ of lift to achieve. Total height increase is only 8.5" over stock super duty where without Cut out flares would be closer to 16". So a huge dif when it comes to functional use and cog height.

Here are some pics of the Iceland x with suspension articulating. As soon as i get the last bit done i will try and get some pics of mine up.

#13 ·
Tarm that Ex of your buddys is bad azz. the only think i dont like is the fuel stain down the side of the body.

#14 ·
Yep of is nice and he really did very little to it. I am chomping at the bit to get mine buttoned up now that the weather is nice.

#18 ·
Yep just before hand go out to your closest. Clover leaf o cork screw on ramp. Take it at the fastest speed youbfeel comfortable. Go install the bar test drive and check bolt tightness. Then go hit that same on ram You should notice a difference in lean and speed and confidence.. If you do not feel a dif you either have bald tires and or shot shocks that stopped you first. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.