Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

need opinion on a detroit locker real quick

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  edge186 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Depends on how much time your truck spends on the road compared to off the road. Detroit Lockers are have terrible road manners when compared to a TruTrac. The biggest difference is that the Detroit is always locked and unlock when needed whereas the TruTrac is the opposite.

#3 ·
I have been running a Detroit Truetrac for a week now and love it. I swapped from the factory limited slip to the Detroit and you can not tell a difference on the highway. I run a full Detroit ratchet type locker in my rock crawler and it really is not that great on the street as it makes a lot of noise in corners when it locks and unlocks.

#4 ·
so is this a ratchet type locker? I did buy it for $280 cause i figured given the retail price it should be worth it but now im not so sure.

#5 ·
Not sure what you mean by a ratchet type locker...

What I do know is that on the street, these have a tendency to be noisy (clunks and pops) and may not unlock when you're making a turn at low speeds (inside tire will try to spin as fast as the outside tire and chirp or hop on the road).

Don't get me wrong. It's a bad azz locker, but the only draw back is the road manners. That being said, there are a lot of guys running them in their daily drivers and love them.

#6 ·
Yes the picture you have listed is the ratchet type used in pulling truck, mud boggers, rock crawlers, etc.

Item #31948 - New
Detroit TrueTrac
Ford 10.25" and 10.50" Axle
Full Float Axle Only

Detroit Truetrac®
Detroit truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket. It remains the leading helical gear-type limited slip differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintnance free traction. Recognized not only for its durability but also it's smooth and quiet operation.
Engineered to work efficiently in front and rear axles, semi and full float axles. Power is so smooth, it literally goes unnoticed by the driver.
* Uses pairs of "Helical" gear sets
* Gears only - no clutch packs
* Ideal for 4WD front axles or rear axles, as well as 2WD; light trucks, SUV’s
* Rugged yet smooth and quiet
* Torque bias ratios of 2.5 to 3.5:1 range

Proven design, low cost and effective performance, all make the Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential the ideal choice for a wide variety of vehicle applications. No maintenance - Just Traction!

Our Price: $569.00
Item #31945 - New
Detroit Locker
Ford 10.25" and 10.50" Axle
Full Float Axle Only

The strongest differential available!Part #31900 recommended

The Detroit Locker® is a fully automatic locking differential well known throughout the years for it’s premium performance and dependable operation.
It maximizes traction by delivering 100% of the torque and power to both drive wheels.
Engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, it unlocks automatically to permit necessary wheel speed differentiation.
Improved design performs like standard (open) differential in normal driving...until you need it.
•Limits wheel spin on wet, muddy and icy terrain for maximum traction.
•Improves handling and increases tread life by allowing differences in wheel speed when turning or operating on uneven surfaces.
•Dependable, rugged automatic system.
•Smooth operation - even in front drive steering axles.
NOTE:picture shows internals with no case, locker comes complete!

Our Price: $635.00

#7 ·
At $280 NIB I'd buy it, throw it on Pirate or even E-bay and then buy a TrueTrac with the proceeds.

#9 ·
4 Wheel Parts is the only local dealer of these thing around here. I am gonna run it down there and see if there is any way they could make some sort of a trade towards a true trac. I talked to them on the phone and he said he couldn't give me a yes or no and that I'd have to bring it down in person. Maybe if i buy a mag-hytec diff cover from them too it might help i dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.