Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cal-Tracs vs. Traditional Traction bars

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kind 
#1 ·
Well, my truck is a CC SB 4x4 that is needing some traction aid... I've already got a set of traction bars sitting in my garage, but they were built when I was into pulling more so than drag racing. Well, I have now changed directions with the truck, and it is sitting stock up front and 2" lower in the rear with 305/50/20 toyo proxies.

My question is, which would be more benifical? The traction bars are a little over 6' long and weigh in at about 50lbs. a piece. My truck being a CC SB is already a pig at 7,600 ish without me in it, so I'd rather not add another 100lbs to the truck with the bars, but then again, I already have them at my house.

Let me know what you think....

-French

#3 ·
is your goal to stop axle wrap or plant the rear tires?
in most 4x4 cases traction is not the issue but axle wrap is, most bar designs will stop axle wrap but do very little to plant the rear tires.
Caltracs and ladder bar style bars will do both at the expense of some noise and a rougher ride in the caltracs case.

#5 ·
I guess I should have worded that a little differently... Yes, I am trying to limit Axel wrap.

I've never ran bars but I do run Caltrac's. Like stated above traction isn't your main concern so I wouldn't think Caltrac's are really "needed." However I will recommend Caltrac's, they are light and work very well.

I don't feel they hurt the ride unless you run lots of preload. But they are so easy to adjust if lots of preload is needed at the track, that changing it to be less aggressive for DD isn't a big chore.

There are a few CC/SB 4wd's on here that run them and from what I've heard they like them.
Thank you for your reply. I have had the traction bars for well over a year now, and would like to get something put on my truck. I could probably sell the bars to offset the cost of the Cal-tracs pretty easily.

Just off hand, do either of you know how much a set of cal-tracs cost, and what part number I would need? I haven't had a whole lot of time to look for them.

#4 ·
I've never ran bars but I do run Caltrac's. Like stated above traction isn't your main concern so I wouldn't think Caltrac's are really "needed." However I will recommend Caltrac's, they are light and work very well.

I don't feel they hurt the ride unless you run lots of preload. But they are so easy to adjust if lots of preload is needed at the track, that changing it to be less aggressive for DD isn't a big chore.

There are a few CC/SB 4wd's on here that run them and from what I've heard they like them.

#6 ·
We are the South East dealer for Cal Tracs. If you would like me to get yuo some pricing let me know. Just get me your ride hieght and truck specs with how it will sit and ride.

For Drag racing with street abilty its hard to beat a Caltrac setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.