Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

lift gain after Excursion spring swap

24K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  spindrift 
#1 ·
From what I have read, most people who install V code springs, gain around 1.5” of lift in the front.
My questions is, what is the amount of lift people have experienced in the rear after installing:

unmodified B code springs?
B code + one leaf?
B code + two leaves?
unmodified F code?
F code + one leaf?

For those who reply, please indicated what size block was used along with the spring installation.
If RAS was also part of the set up, please note that as well.

My desire is to install the V code springs on the front of my 2001 7.3l diesel Excursion,
and do what is required to end up with the rear sitting 1.5”, or so , above the front.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Itcan vary. But with Imodium you could lose up to 1/2 and with various mods adding leaf gain up to 2.5 maybe 3.

You can just add the thickness of leafs added as you know that is gonna give you that lift as is spacer swaps.

#3 ·
My desire is to install the V code springs on the front of my 2001 7.3l diesel Excursion,
and do what is required to end up with the rear sitting 1.5”, or so , above the front.

Thank you.
Send Cary (OBSWIZ) a PM or call him. He's tell you what you need in order to achieve your goal. Here is a link to his site:

CT Performance - suspension

#4 ·
Crap just reread my post. Ha! Ha! Think I need to turn off the auto word spelling check. This xoom is awesome but the damn spel checker had a feature defaulted to auto replace misspelled word or words it thought were wrong. Man it has made some changes that really changed the intent of what I was trying to post LOL

#8 ·
The x code sure ride better than anything in the aftermarket that's for sure.

Between the v code and x code I think it comes down to what ride you are looking for. Firm without jarring which is also nice for fast on ramp races IMO x code. Soft more suv type ride v codes. I do have to say doing it all over I think x codes would win. The excursion hasna different COG and weifhght disribution than a pu sonthe x code IMO are softer than in a PU.

Charles,

Did you ever get your front end rebuilt in the 350?

#9 ·
The excursion was the only one I've had problems with. I yanked it out threw the whole axle in the trash and swapped in an 01 Dana 60. Problem solved. And I just bought a wheel bearing for it the other day after Brooke went all baja 1000 on it through the ditch a while back and the bearing was $114 out the door.

And one more time.... the X codes rock. Even on the 550 they ride great. Mushy ass 250 and 350 springs are a joke. Handle like sh*t and ride like sh*t being so floaty and rolling all around.

And the springs are cheap, brand new from ford. I put a fresh set on the 550 as well as the excursion.

#10 ·
I have the X codes on my 05 Ex and my 00 F350...love em...

#11 ·
Done correctly V codes ride great..have about 1000+- guys that have done the mods I suggest that I'm sure will back it up.

X codes are a better option with a heavy winch bumper or for those wanting a little stiffer ride quality.

#13 ·
For me - I went with Cary's (OBSWIZ) 2" hanger kit, V codes up front, modded B codes and 4" blocks in the back.

before:

after:

:doh:BTW - what the heck is up with all this advertising??????????????:doh:

#12 ·
If there was a spring stiffer than an X code I would have bought those...

Btw, I looked at the Ford antisway bar for the rear, and the Hellwig bar is it's daddy. Got one of those on the rear as well. No more body roll.

The wife took it through a ditch at ~45mph a while back so hard it bent the frame, and the truck blasted out the other side, across a gravel driveway, over a berm, and through some scrubby brush stuff, ending up ~90 degrees from how it first entered the ditch within about 60 feet and it didn't roll. If the springs had been any pu$$ier than the X-codes that foot or so of embankment it removed from the far bank would have been even worse, and it might not have cleared the ditch at all, nevermind rolling over out the other side.

Had the frame straightened, replaced the windshield, fender, bumper, wheel bearing, drag link, panhard bar and oil coolers and it's good to go. Springs just shrugged it off.

X-code fronts are the only springs Ford should sell for the superduty.

#15 ·
Go and give them a 2000 yr f350 sd 4x4 7.3 and then ask fornthe x code front leafs or ifnthey need even more help tell The the ones that come with the factory snow plow package.

I hear ya Charles. I played with a ton of various ideas for going up the amount I wanted. I endded up with the v codes and a 4" hanger kit from PMF. In the rear I went with relocating the front hanger and using the much longer 08" rear f codes. Iirc 68" and they center the axle on the spring. Moded them much as the 99-07 are nmodded but I hadve to cut the original rear leafs so they arebeven front to rear in length. Being longer with the same per inch rating they will have a better ride and same capacity with more wheel travel. Added a 5" block to match the front lift. Bilstiens from cary as well as a kit tobget ride of that pos joke for a top shock mounts in the rear.

The last two things I have left are:

QD sway bar links fnt & rr

A centered single ladder bar style traction bar to allow for full articulation. Working on it so its up on the pumpki offset to the drivers side. Using a pinion skid plate combo as part of the trac bar mount. The bar itself wil also work as a driveline protector.

I did not sink much into tje front end yet as I have a planned swap from the POS d50 with weak brakes and everything else to a 05+ f550 super 60: coil spring, almost 15" rotors, huge calipers, much larger knuckles etc.. swap over to 04 8 lug rotors, f350 unit bearings. Only adds 1,5-2" to each side in width.

As you say the x codes on all SD I say add to that the super 60 axle and you can call that a real work truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.