water in fuel sensor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
CLAC
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

water in fuel sensor

Are the water in fuel sensors known to be faulty and cause the water in fuel light to come on alot? I'm not due for another fuel filter change yet. Every time I drain the fuel I get a little crud but no water. Would cleaning the plug help? I think I will clean the plug and see what happens. I guess I will go ahead and do another fuel filter change too soon.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Zmann
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: water in fuel sensor

i would clean it also
O6 King Ranch cc sb 8 inch lift ,37 Toyo's,Helo’s Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT , o8 center console , xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual TGC dual steering stabilizers ,Viper , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , $ link Rize , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Fabtech traction bars, Tony's tune
Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Zmann
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

this may help ?
HFCM and Fuel Pump ? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
amdriven2liv
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Great thread for reading ^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Zmann

Walk to Defeat ALS We Walk for Kay

"I'm hitting easy street on mud tires"
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

This is just copied and pasted from a post I made before so might seem a little off but should give you the full break down on cleaning out the pump. If you wanted I am sure you could do this with the pump on the truck too and skip over disconnecting the fuel lines but here is what I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Sounds like your well on your way, I'll just toss up some pics for ya before you dive into the project.

While your getting that 36mm socket for the fuel filter grab a set of fual/ac line quick disconnects, something like this,

Once you get the filter out and drained undo the 2 lines on the left of the pump (I believe they have some clips, just pull them up and the lines come off) then undo the other 2 lines on the right side (here is where you need to disconnect tools) then undo the 2 wiring harness connectors and finally remove the pump from the frame rail by removing the 4 bolts on the outside of the frame (12mm I think?) Make sure you got a bucket of some sort for collecting the fuel from the filter and lines and more that will come out when you can tip the pump to pull it out.

Here are some pics from when I pulled mine apart for the same reason your describing.

All apart, notice the red gunk at the bottom, this is where the WIF sensor resides and what seemed to keep mine on.

Other side, showing the cover and more gunk around the drain plug. With mine the drain plug was seized to the cover. WIF sensor is the black on on the left.

One more thing you might want to check out sometime is the updated drain plug. It sounds like yours is still easy to remove but they are known to seize to the aluminum housing, and then stip out when you try and remove them. Ended up having to drill mine out.

Here is the updated plug that is beefier, can put vise grips on it if the 6mm allen plug strips, and it helps in wicking the fuel/water out of the housing so as to not make soo much of a mess.

I believe these are the appropriate Ford/International Part numbers:
Diesel Technician Society

Ford: 6E7Z-9C082-A
International: 2589259C91

If those numbers don't work, ask to see if they can get the HFCM drain plug from an LCF truck.

Or some aftermarket vendors also carry the plug,
Diesel Part # SB6E7Z9C082A - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade - Diesel Performance Parts

Best of luck and hope you can get back to running good without too much time or money.
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
CLAC
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Yeah most likely that is what I'll have to do is pull it apart and clean it. This started a few weeks back right after I put a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil in the tank and it broke a bunch of crud loose.
One question is there a gasket between the cover and fuel filter housing or just use appropriate RTV gasket sealant?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Zmann
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

sweet that was actually the thread I was looking for to link to !!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Zmann
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

it's a gasket you can see it in the pic
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

It's a little o-ring like gasket. Best to simply leave it alone as much as possible (unless of course its already brittle and cracked and/or not sealing) and you should be able to reuse it like I did.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 75
08ford4me, 1craneguy, 2 Stroker, 2006Duty, 64bird410, 94Matt, airtech, amdriven2liv, bigdaddy60, billmoody1, blkbrd36, blown smoke, blwnmstgt1990, buc1096, bustednuckles, CLAC, Cowboyup, Critical, csp, cygnus, Czubek, Dieselpop, duggger912, Dustin F2504x4, football3295, ftb28, guzzle, Hookem, Ian123, Igotstroked, jdc753, jefhuf, jessduen1, Jingoist, jjjblanc, jobsi, jonnysteals, kcbhiw, kfletcher, Komelika, Kramerstroker, leechapple22, Loonatic, ltski315, Millerfarms, mjc, Mr.Wonderful, nastys6.0, Nelly87, PBDP10, Poke In Da Eye, refill1961, rickey1172, Ross01, sabola1, sean mac, Shell8406, Shoopak, Sigster, sirkdev, sixOHsucker, SMOKE&STROKE, smokin&$trokin, smokin250, spindrift, Stacks92, Steamfighter, STROKEN 8, strokin82, torquepower, Turd-250, waldroupa, wedge542, willholl79, Zmann