Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HD u-joints?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  lincolnlocker 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but couldn't find anything on a search. I'm replacing u-joints on an '03 std cab one-piece rear d/s. Looking for joint recommendations. I haven't really found any advertised. Are the stock ones holding up under increased torque? I've never replaced a u-joint with a stock replacement! Just seems odd?

#4 ·
I searched last week and found this:Best universals to use in drive shafts? - PowerStrokeNation

If you arent heavily modified get the Spicers from Ford or Spicer. Mine lasted 260k and werent bad but I just haaaaad to replace em. Bad idea! Should have left them alone. I actually wanted to replace the carrier bearing but assumed it'd be wise to change the uni's out too. Im just hoooping that the Napco Premium Gold maintenance free that I got at carquest last a couple years. They look pretty quality, not that its a foolproof gauge but it helps.

The ones mentioned by nhrx are probably more thought out than what I reco'd so you may want to consider his advice. People who are modded typically know what a/m parts are the best;)

#7 ·
Wishing I had gotten spicers when I did mine multiple times.

The ones I got from napa died within one year of putting them in and I think they are going out again. Will be spicer this time around for sure.

#8 ·
Well, NEAPCO does have a good rep, and the brute force are made in PA. Even though this line is sold at basic auto stores, maybe I'll give them a try. I sure as !@#$%^ will NEVER pay $300 for a u-joint! Well, MAYBE, if a #10 bombshell roadside assists me immediatly if it breaks!

#12 ·
@crowz- depending on the weight of the fifthwheel and whats on it probably 10-12 although 14 could be done if you applied your old fart driving technique.

Im not sure that going to a stock suspension and 33's is gonna give me that much mileage bump compared to what you're getting. Im a solid15-18 with my lift and tires and stock gears and cheapo 100hp chip. Im not sure I can do much better with smaller rubber.

#13 ·
are the brute force the ones at advanced auto parts or auto zone?

#15 ·
lasted just a hair over 10k miles on my truck... did all three in the rear shaft cuz i was in a dind and put them in. ended up taking it to a stealership and had the spicers put in it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.