Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2005 pitman arm taper

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rpm-inc 
#1 ·
Trying to ream my van pitman arm to accept the 2005 f250 draglink. Measuring the ball joint best I could and using an online taper calculator I was getting right around 1.5" taper per foot.

So I ordered a 1.5" taper per foot reamer and reamed the arm. Well the big end is too big. Should have tried it on a scrap piece of steel first!:pointlaugh:

I went to napa and got another pitman arm. What reamer do I need to get the correct taper? 1.25" per foot?

#2 ·
The taper may be correct, just don't ream it as deep.

#4 ·
Alright, gonna have him redo it on a chunk of aluminum and check it. I am also retapering my pitman arm the other way so the drag link goes in from the top. So the big hole becomes the small hole and vice versa. After retapering, the big hole was too big and the small hole wasn't big enough. Which makes me think the taper is not correct.

So what about reaming the big end to the measurement at the bottom of the taper on the ball joint, then open up the small end with a regular straight bit to the measurement of the small end of the ball joint?

Oh yeah, through pm obswiz confirmed that 1.5 per foot is correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.