Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What the heck happened here?

6K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Stacks92 
#1 ·
Guess what happened here:

Larger view:

I have a theory, but I want to hear what you guys come up with first.
You can kinda see it in the 2nd picture, not all the holes have the marks on them. The marks are in two sets, not quite 180 deg from each other around the disc.
All holes are evenly spaced and are supposed to be there. The marks around the holes are not supposed to be there.

Bonus points if you know what it came off of.
Double bonus if you know the model.
Triple bonus if you know what size.

See less See more
#15 ·
Actually, the large radial marks coaxial with the center of the disc are from normal wear. See below.

This, but for a IH
Bingo!!!!!!

Does it have to do with cotton?:eek:
It could. Just probably not with those seed discs. The holes are too small and too many of them.

Actually it's our theory in the office that these discs were left in the seed meter over the winter and a mouse/rat got in and gnawed on all the holes they could reach. The area they couldn't reach was the vacuum blockoff area of the seed meter cover.
Those discs were actually sent to us by a field rep. He was completely confused by them. We were too until we realized that the chewed holes lined up perfectly with the vacuum passage.

The large marks are actually wear marks from the seed meter cover. The seed is picked up when the seed disc passes by the seed in the bottom of the hopper because we draw a vacuum on the opposite side. the seed is carried up through the singulators ( to knock off any extra seeds, so we only plant them one at a time), and then over the seed tube. The vacuum blockoff on the meter cover causes the air pressure to equalize on both sides of the seed when the disc rotates that far, and the seed drops off the disc, through the seed tube, and into the ground.
To maintain the best vacuum stability possible, the meter cover and the seed disc are both made of a special plastic. They both are considered wear items because they are designed to wear in together to get the best seal possible. It usually takes several years to wear out a seed disc and a cover.

#13 ·
I am going to say a Christmas Tree harvester. Part of the tree plucking aparatus that goes round and round. Someone didnt tighten the bolts up well and they spun around with their washers.

#17 ·
that looks exactly like teeth marks, makes sense.

#27 ·
i dont think my 1586 can compare to that....

#30 ·
We had ours overhauled nt too long ago. The stock 436?... Engine went to #### so we put a 466 in it :D with out touching the fuel pump it's putting out 209hp to the pto.

#34 ·
What you mean?

#33 ·
Well it's actually not that bad. It is straight piped :evil I Personally could sit in that thing all day. It has a whicked turbo scream when working I could try to get some pics of it soon.

#36 ·
I just never thought that generation was much for creature compforts is all...as for the straight pipe...they are freaking awesome I remember our neighbor had one one time that was straight piped and he would roller pack ag night and he Damn thing would glow

#40 ·
Where you went wrong was at the canuter vavle... It was actually the thinga ma bob sensor... Then the whatchya ma call it clogged...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.