Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cummins conversion cost

22K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  me2 
#1 ·
What's the going price to do this conversion if I bring it to a shop?

#4 ·
I think Dillon is pretty close with his pricing, especially if you're paying a shop to do it. Every truck will be different, and cost will vary on what engine/tranny combo you decide to go with. Doing it yourself would definitely be hte most cost effective route

#12 ·
I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in Canada used engine prices are going through the roof.

12v with 350K on it guys are asking 3K+

And they all say the same thing... (But it's a good runner!)

Who the hell cares what it runs like with those K's. IT'S A CORE!!!!

#15 ·
I did mine myself and its all the mods that will kill you after. Its hard to say no once you have a Cummins

#16 ·
What kinda cost was it doing it yourself??? I have a 12 valve with 14000 on it that is ready to go, I am figuring 2k worth of parts from destroked, and Prolly another 2k for misc... Or I am wishful thinking?

#17 ·
what transmission? dont forget depending where you place the enigne, driveshafts will have to be custom made, and cross members will more than likely need moved, dont forgoet about a transmission controller with an auto or a big clutch on a manual, radiator, intercooler, adapting your current engine sensors to the cummins. I think i had around 10-12k in mine and that was just over 4 years ago, doing all the work myself. But it was far from stock

#18 ·
From destroked the adapter, mounts, flexplate, trans controller are about 2200.. that's with my 5r110. The only factory gauge that actually would read from engine would be oil pressure. Fuel gauge wouldn't change, coolant I may have to do a litter tinkering, trans temp should b ok... And then I can run analog gauges on my pillar. Be great if it was only that simple...

#19 ·
To be honest, right now I'm looking for a dependable truck, I'm tired of throwing boatloads of money into a 6.0, so I am basically going to put in a stock 12 valve... Yea eventually we will start putting the power to it but I just want a truck I don't have to worry about anymore.

#20 ·
basically stock engine and trans, i guess on that set-up you could probaly use the stock powerstroke fuel system, and wouldnt have to be concerned with any transmission upgrades to hold the stock 12 valve power, doing all th ework yourself i think you could get it done for 5k or less.

#21 ·
i did my 12v conversion into my old 99 powerstroke, i bought a whole rusted out 97 dodge ram 5 speed 4x4 with 127k on it and swapped in the whole thing tranny tcase and engine. fabbed up my engine mounts and a quick simple tranny mount and did it all including 5x14 injectors got my 215hp pump benched and a 1850 dollar turbo from e.d. and still did it all under 5k total. hardest part to me with the whole swap was finding the ford manual pedals and the right combination of clutch hydraulic parts. but even that was just a couple days of searching fro what i needed. I bieleve anything over 10k wont be worth it. and if you arnt going to build your cummins to go over 500 hp i wouldnt waste the time with it because the 7.3 got the same mpg, same power or close to it with less smoke and also tows just as good... if it were me and could do it over again i wouldnt waste the money on a cummins swap if you already had a 7.3, mabey a 6.0 but even then i probly wouldnt. I love the cummins but it is not any more efficant than a 7.3 when put in the same truck. heck if your talking big power then yes cummins is the way to go(over 550 to 650 hp inmo) but not at anything under 500 i would go with 7.3 all day.

#22 ·
Agreed, I feel the cummins swap is over rated unless shooting for big power. Or have a gas powered vehical and wantin a diesel. The cummins in my cousins bronco was great doubled or more his fuel milage over the 302, and tons more power.

#26 ·
Agreed, I feel the cummins swap is over rated unless shooting for big power.
You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

If you swap a 3rd gen CR in for a late model 7.3, you go from 235HP to 325 HP. And the power band is wider. And its a smoother and quieter engine. And if you want to talk mods, a 7.3 will never touch a 3rd gen CR.

I don't even have to speak about replacing a 6.0.

As far as the 6.4 goes, every time you have to work on it, you need to lift the cab. Anything you take to Ford will be $5K, which is more than enough to pay for a swap. And I won't even start on the lack of low end torque on the 6.4.

Ford builds great trucks. Cummins builds great diesels. They belong together. 'nuff said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.