Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rustoleum $50 paint job...WOW

14K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  derrick36 
#1 ·
Call me crazy if you want but i decided to test this method of painting my sig truck. I had to replace my front fenders because thery were rusted pretty bad so i decided to paint the entire truck. So far i'm really impressed with the outcome. I have 2 coats on the truck so far and i plan on doing another 4 or 5. What do yall think?

Heres the truck before..

In the process..

And after the firdt two coats..

I will post up more as i go.

See less See more
#6 ·
I worry about that too. Worst comes to it i'm only out $50 a year. LOL

#5 ·
I'd be kinda scared to do someone elses right now. I want to make sure i get good practise on mine and get the process down first. I really need to replace my bedside in the pic above.

#9 ·
I wouldn't do it unless the truck really needs it. I'm on a tight budget and i was just to curious if it would work.

#11 ·
No worries bud. I knew you were joking. Thanks :D

#12 ·
As to longevity, I usually get a couple to three decent years on my handrails and stuff in the sun down here. That is with Rusto Industrial. Truck looks good. Gonna clear coat it now?

#14 ·
Yeah, as long as you get the industrial and follow the directions to a "T", its is a lot better stuff than most would think. I use it the most in my shop, followed second by satin black in another brand. The spray bombs match up perfectly, too. Great for touch up.

#15 ·
Painted my pass side front fender on my 93 with normal Rustoleum glossy red in April 2010 before I sold it. When I saw the truck again in Nov 2010 the fender was still fine & it matched good from a distance.

#17 ·
Nice rig man.

#16 ·
Yes it will be getting a clear coat. What's nice about this paint Is if I eg a scratch in it all I have to do is run to a local harware store and grab a rattle can of rusto black and fix it. Haha.

#18 ·
I tried that once and fuked it up pretty bad. I did it with flat though and EVERY line showed. On top of that I was pretty drunk and didn't take my time. Basically there were a lot of horrible ideas going on that day.

For a few more bucks you could do a different type of Rustoleum paint job.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90475&page=3
(post 25)

Minus the dust from sitting in the garage my bronco's paint still looks the same.

#21 ·
#26 ·
psdguy08 and catrebel how did you all apply the paint? I remember someone posting this link a while back where it was rolled on and looked pretty impressive.
Just a steady hand & a rattle can. The first coating I tried I didn't prep it correctly & it came off on the first trip to the car wash. I stripped it back down & sanded it good then sprayed again & had much better results.

Are you guys serious with the high density foam roller?? That's the craziest sh!t I've ever heard!!
:stupid:

#22 ·
I rolled it on with a high density foam roller. Oh and this is my first rime painting a car too.

#24 ·
I'm on coat 3 and 4 now. It just gets better.

#28 ·
I did the whole front clip of my old '84 suburban with rattle cans, from primer to finish. Several layers of each, take your time, and it turns out pretty good. I even wet sanded the last few layers real lightly to get rid of the overspray. No clear coat though.

I drove that truck for 4-5 years after that, and it still matched and looked as good when I sold it as it did when I painted it. Unless you got within a few inches of it or looked inside (where I just globbed it on), you couldn't tell it was done with a rattle can.

#29 ·
Ive been practicing with flat black and a roller on an old hood after reading that whole mopar thread a few months back. Think I got it down.

#36 ·
I don't have a sprayer. And all the videos I watched it was rolled on so that's why I did it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.