Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

overload spring question...

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BFT 
#1 ·
i am going to remove the overload spring for now before my build. can i just loosen the u bolts and pick up the rear to take the overload spring out?

#2 ·
If its the lower most spring then it is attached to the spring pack with a alignment pin bolt. You would have to keep the springs together with two clamps then remove the bolt. If the bolt dosent break or the threads fubard then reinstall it.

#3 ·
its a pro comp leaf set up with factory overload. it will be changed to deaver when i start my suspension.
here is the pic of my leafs, i fugured i can unbolt the u bolts (and whatever else is attached) far enough to slide them out wotihout onbolting the leaf springs.

#4 ·
Like stated above, it is attached to the sping back with pin bolt. You can leave the spingpack on the truck to remove but will have to separate from the axle. Use some C-clamps to hold the pack together while you loosen the pin bolt to remove the overload spring. Why do you want to remove if you are going with new springs? It will soften the ride alittle but it will also lower the rear.

#6 ·
Should I clamp the overload or everything but?

It's just something temporary. The leaf springs are so thick that it makes the ride real stiff.

Yeah, I have the firestone air bag set up and I run a spacer block to take up the space from the bottom of the bag to that bracket you see.
I doubt I will have the bag set up because I won't have the leaf spring block anymore

#8 ·
Clamp everying but the overload. Pretty easy to do as long as your u-bolts aren't seized. You are going to competely eliminate the blocks? How much lift you planning on doing in the rear? I was thinking of 4.5" lift rear springs with F250 blocks. I want to be able to keep the bumpstops. What is your plans for a rear bumpstop? I am in OC if you need some help getting that overload out.

#7 ·
Yeah robert your gonna have to remove the center pin to pull that overload. i would try to clamp the pack together all but the overload, Your gonna need enough space to get some vise grips on the bottom of the pin and a wrench on the top to pull it. Give me a holler if ya want i can could explain it a bit better. I just pulled my top ones off the same way.

#9 ·
thanks guys.

i will eliminate the blocks once i get the deaver springs in the rear. i spoke to carli last week about my suspension. it might differ a bit from what they have for the 08's and up.

not too sure on how much lift there will be but it will be similar to their coilover set up for the fords just slightly modified, should be level by the time its done. ill be running a hydraulic bump stop for both front and rear, at least thats my plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.