Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4294...?

8K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  Fl Stroker 
#1 ·
so i came across a 4294 for cheap so im gonna snag it maybe. i have seen guys on here running them with at least 250's and they said it worked very well.
has anyone ever run one with 238\100 hybirds? do you guys think that they will be enough for it?

#5 ·
Didn't try it with 238/100's but it works great for 250's! Now, I have heard people say that smaller sticks seem to light midframe turbos like the 4294 very well and have even read of a couple people say better. I'm not real sure why but that's the rumor I had heard anyway. If it were me I would go for it. If you don't like it you can always sell it and get an s3?? With a t4 flange. Most of your money will be in the mount. After that t4 turbos are cheap. Hope that helps!

#17 ·
He's already running an S3xx.

so.....guys running this turbo with hybirds or bigger and at least 100% nozzles, what rpm range are you running it in just dding? towing? i know i have heard that this turbo doesnt tow well but will....

i do not plan on towing much..

i belive moore20017.3 ran a simialier model turbo with 238100's.
Speaking of which, what're you doin with the turbo you're runnin now?

#7 ·
Based on the flow charts I have seen a 100% standard hybrid will flow 238cc in around 3.5 ms. Do not think you will too much on the table vs a 250. My guess and its a guess would be if everything is good you will be in the low to mid 500s.

#8 ·
why do ppl buy a turbo based on the cc's of the injector rather than the nozzle? you can have a 10,000 cc injector, but if you only have a 50% nozzle, it aint gonna light chit easily. imo, a turbo should be bought based on nozzle size first then cc's, as the nozzle actually determines how much fuel gets in, therefore how much energy available to drive it. the cc's only decide how much is available to the nozzle, other than that, cc's are non-important number, imo

#12 ·
which can be tweaked by choice of housing, within reason. for instance. lets take a 200/30 to a 238/80 or a 400/80 up to around a 100% nozzle. generally a 38r.

go up a nozzle. 200% generally 42XX. and so on.

while rpm range decideing the turbo is important, after getting close, that can be tweaked with housings. and to some extent, tuning.

it should be said, that there should be alot of research done on deciding what turbo to get for your set up, to make sure you get the right one for YOUR SPECIFIC APPLICATION. selections of turbo, housing, wheel sizes, WG's, currently ppl are trying the diverter valves/quick spool/whatever you wanna call it. it shouldnt be a "hey that looks good cuz johnny has one i want one to".

while we can help here at the nation, helping you narrow it down, nothing beats a talk over the phone with 1-10 different sponsers, asking questions till your blue in the face, then making a educated decision of why.

#13 ·
so.....guys running this turbo with hybirds or bigger and at least 100% nozzles, what rpm range are you running it in just dding? towing? i know i have heard that this turbo doesnt tow well but will....

i do not plan on towing much..

i belive moore20017.3 ran a simialier model turbo with 238\100's.

#14 ·
Mine tows just fine thank you. Why wouldn't it? It came off a semi. That's all they do is tow.

#16 ·
:hehe: I just said it worked.

#21 ·
Skav ( Sean)

That's great to here. I stuck to it and should be up and running with the GTX4294R w/1.15 and some 300cc 200% with in the next few weeks. I had them weld a piece of pipe with a v clamp blocked off for a WG for the future on Murffs mount if needed before it got coated. Can't wait. Should be bad ass all around daily driver. It should be good towing with no heat issues.

#26 ·
That's funny

I think any junk yard otr truck pulled 42 is gonna be a journal not a bb. In fact was a 42r ever even used as a factory OEM Turbo in these big trucks? All I ever see are journals

#29 ·
Alright.

The 4294 will work great with 238/100. I recommend the 1.15-1.19 a/r exhaust housing. Basically you can not push it out of its map (efficiency range) with these nozzles.

I know of a couple running 200% with great luck as well, butI do not have the pressure ratio information. :poke:

The 4294 would work for 400/400 if you had enough wastegate installed, it would also work as the hp setup in a competetion set of compounds.

It is the same as a otr engine double the displacement.....but at twice the rpm that is a wash.

The jb vs bb is an ongiong debate. The 4294 performs great as a jb. jb is rebuildable and bb is not.....there are pros and cons to both.

OP, I think you will be much happier with the 4294 than the s300, we spoke in length about this a year or so ago.

As for the nozzle comment, I could not agree more with Treetrimmer.

#32 ·
Detroit 60 series motors. Not sure on the brand of truck. Freightliner?

#33 ·
We have a couple of those at work 1 in a KW other in a Pete,I think there is a spare in the shop I'll have to look...Thanks

#35 ·
You have 4294's and 4202's. I'm not sure what if any otr truck motors the 4202's came on. Either one is good though. They should have a 1.28ar or so T6 flange housing on it. You'll want to get a new T4 housing. Mine was built by precision turbo and engine.

Detroit 60's are detroit's big 500hp rated motor if anyone's wondering. Another little piece of information for ya, they're quiet. Mine is maybe half as noisy as a 38r when I'm at full spool. Cruising you don't hear it hardly at all. I pulled the silencer ring out too.

Wichita craigslist actually has someone selling 3 complete detroit 60 motors. Maybe get a turbo from him cheap? (Roger if you just read that don't worry. I'll check on them for ya. I know you're wanting one.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.