Kohler vs. Kawasaki - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > The Nation's Hangout > General Questions & Discussion
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM
forddieselkicksass
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Kohler vs. Kawasaki

Which do you guys prefer? A Kohler engine on a commercial mower, or a Kawasaki. I'm talking 23-24 hp.

I am just wondering because my dad has 6 Exmarks with Kawasaki's and I think they are junk. 14 hp Kawasaki engine on a 36" Encore is 19 years old and runs damn good, and a 17 horse Kawasaki on a Exmark 52" walk behind is good (easily 3500+ hours). But, a 19hp, 23hp, and 24hp Kawasaki's are $hit. They are hard to start (about 2 seconds of cranking, choke, crank another second even if warm) and are loud as hell. Sometimes on the 23hp it dies for no reason and blows black smoke on start up (something sticks wide open, only 950 hours on it, I think its fixed). They suck down gas like a mother (at least the 23 and 24), which sucks because you get about 4 hours of mowing out of a 23 horse Kohler (5 gallons). (not that its the money, its just the fact you gotta waste time to fill the thing)

The Kohler on the other hand, awesome. 2 Exmarks with Kohlers and the original engines lasted 4500 hours EACH! Both have brand new Kohlers now (One had bad valves, one threw a rod). They start right up, and are really quiet.

I am just trying to figure out why everyone likes Kawasaki so much. I run the things more than most, so I aint talking about just mowing your yard on the weekend. The Kawasaki will last a long time no doubt, they just don't seem to compare to Kohler.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 28
'99 stroker, 7.3 King Ranch, AMB, Bartlett99, BCPSD, bobsaggett2007, BoomerL37, CGMKCM, Dustin F2504x4, Fever, forddieselkicksass, jonathan734, opieg01, pff250hd, poon, powr2stroke, Realdealoo8, red&silver04, redpower, RSieck, SouthFlstrokin', squeak12, Steamfighter, Stroken7.3, trackspeeder, washingtoncoastie