Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

suspension help

942 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  desertwheeler 
#1 ·
im about to start my suspension build real soon. ive spoken to deaver and will probably be headed down there tomorrow so they can start building my a set for my rig.

the suspension will be set up for doing baja style racing.

my question for all that have more knowledge on this, should i start from the front or the back? the front will be converted to coilovers, was thinking about king but im also looking at bilstein and a 4 link (still looking around). the rear will have more travel, im trying to get as much as i can without cutting into the bed

thaks ahead of time
robert

edit
this is going to be called project, "baja burrito"

#2 ·
What year truck is it? Are you planning on towing heavy? I would talk to Carli for the front. The rears are the same as Carli has Deaver build the springs to his specs. I have Carli Coilover Mounts with Kings in the front. I also have Icon 4-link. Depending on how high you want to go, Icon has some of there own coilovers too. I put 08 rear springs on my 05 and the ride is much better. I put a Carli 6leaf Mini pack on stock 08 springs and the ride is great. I tow a heavy 5th wheel so I am thinking of the Carli Longtravel Airbags and replacing my current rear springs with 5-7" Deaver packs. I like King because they are right up the street from me and I have used them on my longtravel Tacoma.

#3 ·
Truck is an 08 and the towing will stop and if I have to tow I have an air bag set up that I can put on.

I spoke to deaver and carli today and will be headed down there tomorrow to talk to them and get stuff set up. Everything will be set around a 6" long travel suspension. I was thinking of a 3" or a modified 4.5" but with the 6" I'll be able to do the slower stuff without worry of messing up the body too bad.

I have a 6" lift right now, but it sucks when going through Woops and sucks even more on the highway. I'll be dropping down to a 17" wheel to keep it inside the fenders, most likely a factory wheel from ford.
I'll keep every one updated on what happens and take pics of the build. If the mods an move this to the project forum and name it project "BAJA BURRITO" or I'll just make a new thread in the next week or two.

Stick around for some cool sh!t to come!

#4 ·
I would advise to stay with coils instead of coilovers for this set up, due to the fact that you will loose wheel travel with a coilover. You are wanting the most travel possible if you are going to be out in the desert. We did a 4.5" kit that had 12" of travel. Carli's 4.5" coilover kit only has 10" travel coilovers.

I would also do a 3 link over a 4 link, this has been beaten to death already, but ask Carli why they have designed a radius arm for the Dodge Ram trucks.

#5 ·
Thanks for that heads up. Any info I can gather would be greatly appreciated. I noticed they did 3 link style set up for the dodge trucks with the solid axle. I was thinking more along the lines of the set up Aaron has on his drag truck.
This seems like it will be a trial and error with my truck along with trying to balance the load. I'm just trying to get the just of it right now

#7 ·
Since you are local I would head down there and see if they have time to take you for a ride in Sage's F250. I am not sure which setup he has on there at the moment but I believe he had the Knig 2.5's with the progressive coils and mini packs right now.

And as far as why there are going with a radius arm conversion on their 6" Dodge systems is because that was the best way to get the travel they wanted while not requiring the that the customer cut the factory lower control arm mount off of the frame. I don't know if I would compare it to most radius arms as far as function goes either since it has single arm with a control plunger on the passenger side. This gives you the advantages of a radius arm as far as the frame clearance that they needed with out the inherent binding issues that radius arms can present when you try to articulate the axle. Trust me is saying that Sage would have prefered to go with a long arm 4-link but it would have been impossible to meet his performance requirements without cutting parts off of the frame.

#8 ·
i just spoke to both sage and shaun, real cool guys. shaun took me out in sages 250 and has a REAL nice ride...well comparing to mine it was night and day. whatever is on the blog on the site is what it has. he is willing to modify certain things to meet what i want to do with the truck. the dessert pin striping was a dead give a way that i will be using he truck and beating the piss out of the suspension

sage discovered a few things with the lift i have on. for starters, i have been on quite a few trails with my pig and this kit was NOT designed for that! track bar bracket was cracked, track bar bushing was fried snd there was about 1/2 of movement left to right when slightly turning the wheel.

i just hit up sunrise ford for some factory partsso i can have a somewhat clean slate to work with. (stock pitman arm, track bar mount and both radius arms) i spoke to him about the possibility of running the ALA set up like aaron has on his truck, he wasnt aware of the style or what they did so he didnt comment on running them.

i am going to get my kit fixed and it will be up for sale, and will most likely be selling them with wheels and tires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.