Crazy 2wd to 4wd conversion and 4wd to 2wd on the other truck, suggestions welcome - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 6.9 - 7.3L IDI Diesels 83-93 Model Years
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 AM
rsr911
Crazy W85 guy
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to rsr911
Crazy 2wd to 4wd conversion and 4wd to 2wd on the other truck, suggestions welcome

Here's the deal. I've got 5 kids so I need my crew cab truck. Here in Ohio it's hard enough to find crew cabs, let alone diesel 4wd crew cabs and I definitely wanted an IDI truck so I got this one about a year ago. The problem is two fold, first I often haul heavy in the bed so a dually conversion has always been in the cards. I also have a steep drive and getting my truck out this winter as well as around town was let's just say an exercise in patience. Anyway I've found a really nice standard cab 4wd dually (89) with a gas engine. I have a the old 6.9 with a blown head gasket from my truck. My plan is to swap the front and rear axles and suspension between the two trucks then convert the 89 into a 6.9 4spd 2wd truck that my neighbor wants to buy to run WMO in for a work truck. I've seen plenty of threads on converting to a D60 front end but never the other way. I'm assuming the engine swap is rather straight forward other than wiring and changing out the tank pickups. I'll be doing a bed swap as well so I'll be able to get at the tops of the tanks. I'm a skilled welder and fabricator as well as machinist so I can make what I need to do this conversion. My questions are do any of you guys have any input? What about the in tank pumps for the gas engine, could I regulate them and use them as lift pumps? Or maybe just remove the pump part and put in a Hutch mod style pickup but keep the senders? Any suggestions on the engine wiring? I've got a GP harness and solenoid. I plan to just use the 351 alternator but swap to v-belts or swap alternators if need be. I can use the coil signal to activate the FSS. I suppose I could copy the simple harness on my truck for that matter. Here's a list of parts I have for the diesel conversion:
  • 6.9 engine with rebuilt IP
  • T-19 trans with bell housing, flywheel, and clutch
  • Slave and master clutch cylinders
  • Y pipe
  • F body oil cooler and exhaust manifolds (7.3 was a van engine)
  • motor mounts
  • trans mount
  • instrument cluster
  • GP harness and relay (will go push button, no controller)

Anything I'm missing? Comparing the trucks side by side it looks like all I have to do is grind the rivets off the factory brackets and bolt them onto the other truck(s). Seems like every thing will bolt up. I might weld the brackets after bolting for extra strength, to be determined.

The idea is to end up with two good trucks, mine the way I need it and a nice light 1-ton for him to haul his stuff (telecom installer) and save on fuel costs. Any help or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 AM
itsacrazyasian
resident crazy asian
Member's Gallery

Re: Crazy 2wd to 4wd conversion and 4wd to 2wd on the other truck, suggestions welcom

I'm sorry i didnt read the whole post, i actually only registered here to post something i wanted to buy in the marketplace.

If you peruse on over to oilburners i have a thread on my 94 2wd cclb gas/auto/2wd to 4wd/diesel/zf5.

Or feel free to email me, but its a pretty straight forward swap. Everything bolts in. I used an RSK to make the front spring hanger work and ride a bit nicer.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Re: Crazy 2wd to 4wd conversion and 4wd to 2wd on the other truck, suggestions welcom

Going to have some time wrapped into the 2wd swap portion but it's not out of the question. I've done it before & 3 people & a few floor jacks are in order. Another thing to note, if you found a reg cab dually 4x4 it's most likely a cab & chassis. The front axle will work on a pickup frame but the rear axle will be too narrow. If you want to convert your pickup into a dually you will need the rear 10.25 out of a pre-97 F350 pickup dually.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 AM
rsr911
Crazy W85 guy
Member's Gallery

The pickup I found is already a dually conversion so it has the correct axle. The front D60 is not the dually type. I'm hoping that down the road I can convert it to a factory dually front or just run adapters so I only need one spare tire.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Southwest Dually
Riding dually style!
Member's Gallery

This project is accomplishable, and more so with your welding skills! I am not the worlds best welder, and it takes a basic understanding of the components to do the swap!

You can check out my thread in the "Project" section under "OBS gas to diesel swap, and 4wd". I have a 94 CC Dually that came with a 5.8 gasser, that I dumped, and converted to a 97 DIT Diesel. I also added 4wd onto my 2wd dually. I used the typical D-50 axle, and D-60 Dually hubs. The Dana company has been great about their parts crossing over, lol!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr911 View Post
The pickup I found is already a dually conversion so it has the correct axle. .
I wouldnt count on that. The conversion companys liked to use adapters, not true dually axles
97 CCSB 4WD DRW 7.3 5spd DP Tuner, 6637, 4" Flo-Pro SS Exhaust(3" DP), 99 I/C, T500,Cali Truck w/120cc Split Shot Injectors, 1.0 exhaust housing/WW2, Irate Up-pipes, CCV Mod, Autometer gauges, Valair Organic clutch, PFM 2.25" RSK, PMF Traction bars, Rear Air bags,SD springs Front(V code)/rear(B code), 315/75/16s, (6)Alcoa 16x6 wheels 300HP/561TQ

Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 AM
rsr911
Crazy W85 guy
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
I wouldnt count on that. The conversion companys liked to use adapters, not true dually axles

No this one had a rear dually axle added by a prior owner. Definitely no adapters and the frame is definitely a pickup frame. I'll likely run adapters in the front though. Probably make my own in my shop.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 AM
rsr911
Crazy W85 guy
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Dually View Post
This project is accomplishable, and more so with your welding skills! I am not the worlds best welder, and it takes a basic understanding of the components to do the swap!

You can check out my thread in the "Project" section under "OBS gas to diesel swap, and 4wd". I have a 94 CC Dually that came with a 5.8 gasser, that I dumped, and converted to a 97 DIT Diesel. I also added 4wd onto my 2wd dually. I used the typical D-50 axle, and D-60 Dually hubs. The Dana company has been great about their parts crossing over, lol!
Excellent thread, thank you. Here's some pictures of my work, a 1940's Gilson Bros. cement mixer. I built and entire new frame for it with interchangeable pintle or 2" ball hitch, removable draw bar, repowered with a 6.5 Honda engine. The whole project took me about two weeks of evenings from concept to primer, then about a week to get the paint done decently.

Not trying to brag but projects like this don't scare me in the least. I just want to make sure I've got it all planned well from the beginning because from start to finish on my truck I'll only have a week, then another week or two on the other truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0402101544.jpg (135.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 0513101652.jpg (143.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Then&Now3.JPG (97.8 KB, 13 views)

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 142
01grnstroker, 02psd, 1964f250, 1995f350, 19_A_LT, 1SLO GT, 55STROKER, 6.0 p-stroke, 7.3-StRoKeR, 7.3psd97444, 815Speed, 82crawler, 89greendiesel, 8k05, 91blackshortbus, 93idi2007, 97 flatbed f-350, 997.3PSD, Baker82, BambiBasher, Bamboo, banderajaker, Bayonet16, bert, BigBlue7point3, BigRed97, black7.3, BlueBomber, Bradbilt, broodu, brp7282, bryan.d, Buford-61, Built4tq, Burnt250, cdhc10, cfdeng7, chodifer, Choupique108, count2187, Cowboydually7.3, csangster, cummins250, cyberdiamond, ddillenger, Deerslayer42694, Denver, drake162, Dtm030, duallyman, Dustball8504, farmall16, farmall99, florida 6.0, fordnut, GENIUSLOERTS, genuineford, gracing, gsberry, HAAS, Haztanker, hcwt, hehman250, HoboStroker, Howeyfeltersnatch, iowacornfarmer, ironbarr, ironworker25, Ithumpwheniwalk, itsacrazyasian, Jake2345, jeephildo, joedaddy, Jon4nier, jonboy84, jonnydiesel, jparrish, JRod, Kentuckydiesel, LaWrench, lossscause, LOSTCAUSEPOWERSTROKE, mmp94, my66coupe, Nitro Blazer, nosubsitute4hp, NutFarmer97, old man dave, Ole Nasty, opieg01, Otter70, patrickke, powerstrokenstang, powerstroker1997, PSD-BLACK-CLOUD, psd444, pstroke96, quader94, Rayjay25, red95psd, redpower, Rob02F350, roberth58, rsr911, Rusty-Ford, SAK, scary0715, semomotorsports, Shovel, silverf250, skisteep, slayer7712, slutz4, Smokin444, SouthFlstrokin', southtexasidi, Southwest Dually, spokanepaul, stackedstroker, Stem_and_Beans, stoneykegonsa, stroke7.3this, strokin'_tatsch, struttnruttn, theSLEEPER, tjctransport, TNScrambler, Tobin, txoutlaw, Utah7.3, voodoomaker, wanabebig, wjamesm, Wolfe88Ford, WPBarnes0693, wrenchturner250, Zmann, ~NASTYSTROKER96~