Truck died while driving down the road. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
dave96psd
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Truck died while driving down the road.

My 96 7.3 died while driving about 40 mph with no previous symptoms. I pulled over and cranked and cracked with no fire. I am getting rpms on tach when cranking. If I cycle the key several time to prime the fuel it starts and runs for a few seconds and dies again. Is my fuel pump out and if so where should I buy the new one? Is it inside the frame rail under the steering wheel or so? If I am looking at the right thing it has a fuel lines going to it and is about 6 inches long. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 AM
95powersmoker
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Truck died while driving down the road.

You don't have an electric fuel pump unless somebody swapped to E-fuel on your truck. Your fuel pump is in the valley. It is mechanical and runs off a lobe on the cam...

Make sure you have fresh fuel in the fuel bowl. If the truck is getting fuel. It could be a bad CPS. Also, check your oil level.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 AM
dave96psd
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Oil level is good. I topped it off and tried again. Ok I am sure this thing is stock so I have the mechanical pump. I took out the fuel filter which needed changed and tried to run again with just a few seconds of luck. Bowl does have fuel My tach gets rpms while cranking so I don't think think it is cps but maybe I should replace that first. Do I want the black one or the grey one and who makes each?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
dave96psd
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I scanned for codes today and found p0 340 and po344 both codes are for CPS which one do I need to buy the ford or the international
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
zilla68
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I bought the international one from dieselorings.com.
I have tried most of them, and that one from international has the most magnetic pull out of the bunch. I'd go with that one for sure. Haven't had an issue since I put it in, while the stock ford one was still causing issues, and all went away with the international.

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
adrenaline junkey
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I got a recall letter about cps couple months ago any chance you could swing into the ford dealer and get one for free?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
dave96psd
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I bought one today but have received no letter from ford. I will get my VIN and stop by and pick up the grey one to keep as a spare. I bought the international one and the shim kit in case it acts up when I first install it. the damn shim kit which is just a washer and o ring was more expensive than the damn sensor. Hopefully I won't need the shim and I can take it back.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
dave96psd
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I bought a new international CPS and the truck is running like a top

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 69
1990 Scorpion, 94.5 Stroker, 95powersmoker, 96kbstroker, 96Powerstrokin, 97stroker_08, 97_f250_7.3L, abbottfarms, addicted56, adrenaline junkey, amscontr, aussie powerstroke, b00stleak, ben97, bigern515, black_pstroke, blageurt, BURNSY_B_STROKIN, Caster, dave96psd, dave_k96, DIE5EL, Diesel Avenger, Drew2010, dsinderson, Fordfreak4life, ghostang93, Harl, HaysKSFirefighter, Headcase98002, hendricksbus, Highstyles_john, Hprpartytruck, iowawiley, Jake2345, jason5599, jdneis, JWMUSTANGMAN, kramarj, Krause, kvn555, madpogue, mxredneck, ngtstk3r, Nuttin up, paloautosalvage, philipcrabbak, purple_heart_350, PWRstroke_smoke, Ride, rusty9cab, salprofish, samoht517, semomotorsports, Slacker, snoblade82, ssteve80, Stang07, Stripp, strokefreak, STROKER #1, TexasPM, tmackowiak143, Twisted Excursion, tysonxj, White96Stroker, zilla68