Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

F650 dash mod

42K views 63 replies 34 participants last post by  fifty 
#1 ·
O.K. guys and gals, here are the final pics. I installed the 6 Carling switches, and a DPDT (on-off-on) rocker for my temp guage. After I had cut the opening to fit the 2 carling 3 switch mounts, I had about 1.5 inches of open space at the bottom that just didnt look right to me. I added a false back to the opening and then filled it with bondo. I then hit it with a 100 grit sanding block to get it all nice and level, and then finished it off with 320 grit sand. I light coat of primer, and some paint and its done.

The rocker switch you see below the main switches is a selector switch for my temp guage. Throw the switch to the left, and my guage reads my oil temp, throw it to the right and it reads my coolant temp. I added a T fitting to my HPOP resevior to accomodate both the factory EOT sensor, and the sensor that came with my guage. I also added a sensor for coolant temp in the same fashion. Before anyone asks, I had to add the T fitting to my waterpump, simply because the inside of the hex plug was chewed up, and would not come out.
sorry the nighttime pics arent that clear, cheap camera.

I still need to remount my brake controller

Ford Part number is 4C4Z-7004302-BA, It was about $60 from my local medium duty dealer.
The panels come in the dark gray color of the top half of my dash, but since I was transfering my cup thrower, and ash tray over I went ahead and painted mine to match.

See less See more
#40 ·
I don't know if anyone has tried. I may have my dealer get one in and see if it will fit.

#47 ·
IIANM it is 6" by 2 7/8". The 2 carling switch boxes did not fill it up. I made a false back and filled it with body filler, cut it out to fit the switches, then sanded and painted.

#48 ·
If I'm remembering this correctly the short throw shifter kits moved the stick closer to the dash- not helpful. The shifter wont even clear an under dash gauge pod without some re-engineering. It took me 2 hours to make the shifter work after I put in the gauge pod- stock it wouldn't let you shift "up". and ya I know the truck is dirty
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#51 ·
why not take the stick out and either bend it or replace it with one thats bent out of a fuller or spicer...

#52 ·
not quite that easy, i made a bracket to offset the shifter back about an inch. theres no way to bend the shifter itself- its got some kind of anti shock thing in the tube. You would need to unbolt the shifter from the part that sticks out of the trans and build a bracket that bolts from the shifter handle to the part that comes out of the trans to offset it back and slightly up (if you don't offset it up the spacer will hit the plastic shifter boot hold down ring. Plus after all this the boot isn't quite long enough to bolt back to the floor :doh:

#58 ·
I see, never had mine out. Initially I was thinking you might be able to pull the stick and shove it into a pipe bender. Your way, reworking the bracket sounds like the cleanest. Depending on the type of metal you could also get real fancy and totally rework it from the base up welding in a new piece I would imagine, but maybe not

#59 ·
too bad you can't bend it up. Might be too much trouble to pull it all out and build a new one too.

Wonder how well something like this would work lol...

Or make something like the Tremic T-5 shifters from the mustangs lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.