Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

build: BASB, injector and spring upgrade, and zf5 rebuild

32K views 129 replies 22 participants last post by  gnxtc2 
#1 ·
K, so when I'm completely finished, ill post all pics along with a writeup... Installing a BASB turbo and T4 mount kit from irate, upgrading my 160 stage 1s to 100% nozzles, installing comp 910 valve springs w/ .030 shims, and new exhaust manifold bolts. Also rebuild my zf5

#125 ·
Still love it, especially when I tow anything. As for modding like the qssb, not sure. But I do believe this is the upgraded/improved version of the qssb. That would be a good question to ask full force or irate diesel about. But yes, I still love it, with larger than stock tires, 3.55s and a zf5 it spools amazingly fast and really helps me get my load up and moving quickly with low egts and zero smoke. Of course unless you just flat out floor it, then any combo in that situation would smoke anyways though

#126 ·
Thanks for responding. I emailed Jake at Irate and he said it is the same as the old turbo but with the t4 exhaust side and updated compressor wheel. So it can be upgraded in the same manner the others can. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this turbo and the option of being able to upgrade it is an added bonus. Thanks again for starting this thread as I would have been unaware of this option if you hadn't. Take care.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#127 ·
Upgrades to this turbo? Do explain please.

#129 ·
What size is the DP? And how do you make out the DP?

Sent you a PM.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#130 ·
Just an UPDATE:

Just towed my enclosed GN trailer, made a 360 mile round trip. Towed amazing, even the gf noticed. Towed from northern NJ to Cecil County Dragway (North East/Rising Sun, MD). Went down I-287 to I-95. My GVW is almost 21k.

Set the cruise at 70 mph which puts me around 1850 rpm. Truck did not down shift once. The only time I manually dropped out of OD into 3rd was when I was going over the Delaware Memorial Bridge as I did not want to go over it doing 70.

When the cruise was set and a hill was encountered, the boost went up to 20-25. The EGTs never went over 1200 on long pulls. Halfway up the hill, the boost scaled back as the truck was accelerating past the set speed and the motor kept pulling. I was using DynoProven's Heavy Tow tune. I averaged 10 MPG pulling.

This turbo is light years ahead of the stock turbo and "66" style turbos. With the stock based turbos i ran previously, I would have to manually drop out of OD to pull even the slightest hill due to high EGTs. If I kept in OD, boost would only get up to 10psi and it would be smokey; the side of the trailer would be covered in soot. I used the same Heavy Tow tune.

The gf was riding shotgun, she asked what that "whistle" was as we were going down the NJ Turnpike. I replied that is the turbo. She stated that it's a cool sound. When we arrived at the hotel, she stated it seemed that the truck pulled the trailer effortlessly compared to other times.

Build up in the sig.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.