Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Replacing the IPR on a 2003 6.0

66K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Roadrunnergts 
#1 ·
I am going to be replacing the IPR in my 2003 6.0. Is it possible to do it from underneath the truck like the ICP? I know it is 1 3/8", can you get it with a wrench or will a special socket be needed. Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wesley

#4 ·
I do them all underneath on 03's I have them down to 45 min start to finish. 10mm,13mm to remove the shield. Take an 1 1/6 wrench cut it to about 4-5 inches total length,put a notch in the end for prybar. Put the wrench on ,put the prybar on the notch and give it a tap. Then reach up and thread out.

#7 ·
iv got a special socket and go from the top, also need a wobble and a few 6" extensions...maybe 30-35 minutes swapped. if you've never had to do this then you better at least double the time it will take you. its not a fun one to replace...

#9 ·
move degas bottle out of way, you dont have to drain it, just fold it over. remove ficm, remove last stud on take that has injector hasnress ground. unplug both ICP and IPR, slide IPR socket down, slide universal down, attatch 12 inch extenstion, than a long ratchet to break free. Also, unplug last two injectors and move harness forward

#12 ·
Finally got an afternoon off so I could work on the truck, no problems really until after I got it out and looked at the screen to see little pieces of metal. I guess now the fun really begins. Any tips on replacing the HPOP on this thing? Thanks for all the previous tips, they helped a lot.

#13 ·
Remove turbo, remove Hpop cover, remove a few bolts, etc.... pretty straight forward unless your intake manifold stifled the Hpop cover removal. If it does... look up removal. You actually only have to POP it up some and can get the cover out.

#15 ·
The screen is ok, just had some small metal shavings on it. I was told that if there was any metal on the screen to change the HPOP. I have a new IPR to put in because I am having a hot start issue. Starts like a beast when cold, spins too long and rolls into a start when hot.

#16 ·
Doubt your ipr is your problem and if you saw just a few specs in the screen you are fine. Just buy the ipr rebuild kit and it comes with a new screen. You need to do an air test on the truck.

#17 ·
I replaced the IPR, but didn't air test it as suggested. Haven't had time with the 12 hr work days - 7 days a week and the holidays. Drove the truck today to take off the trash. Noticed that the truck has no power and the engine gets quiet and bogs down when trying to accelerate. Still having the hard start when hot issue. What will I need to do the air test? And any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for your help.

#19 ·
You need to buy a scan gauge 2 (sg2). it is cheap and works! it will tell you what your icp reading is and what your ipr duty cycle is. if the icp is low and the ipr duty is very high, your hpop is gone. I run the sg2 in my ex and I wouldn't leave home with out it.

#21 ·
Sorry to butt in on this conversation. Iam getting a 22 reading for my ipr and a 650 reading on my icp at idle. I have the sg2. My ipr does not go above 74.8 even at wot. What are the ideal ipr/icp values?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.