Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oil in hpop reservoir

7K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  dieselman81 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the fuel injector sleeves in my 02 7.3L. I had the oil changed as soon as I finished that project. I've noticed the oil on the dipstick is staying "cleaner" looking longer than it did before. I attributed that to the injector o-rings being shot. Problem now is that my truck is throwing a p1211 code. I installed a gauge today to check my hpop pressure. I'm only putting out 2200 psi max but I noticed when installing the fitting to hook my gauge to that the oil in the oil rail is really black. Doesn't the oil for the hpop recirculate back through the entire engine? Can't understand the huge contrast in color between oil pan and oil rail.

#2 ·
I change my HPOP reservoir oil on its own because, while the oil there does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often as the rest of the system and does get dirty sooner. It is such an important part of how well the injectors distribute fuel, that it is well worth the extra effort to keep it clean.
Drain out the HPOP reservoir, re-add oil (1 qt or till topped off.) drive for a day , repeat until oil appears clean. There are approximately three quarts total in the injector HPOP system.

#3 ·
OR drive the truck for a few minutes and all of the oil in the HPOP system will be changed...

I suspect that if you dip the oil from the res and drop it on a white card and do the same with the dipstick you'll see the same color

#10 ·
Yes, that is correct. Have you tried doing a WOT run without the chip? What is your IPR duty cycle when you are at 2200 psi?

Do you have difficulty with hot starts? 2200 rail pressure with stock injectors is an issue-- You are throwing the p1211 because the rail pressure will not meet the commanded requirement of the tuning. I suspect the pump delivers plenty of pressure, but you are not holding the pressure due to a leak.

At 130K, its time-- Start with the IPR oring replacement, then go to injector orings. The top oring on the injector that holds oil rail pressure is often the first one to go.
This is very possible. Change the o-rings on the IPR and injectors. If the problem is still there, I would say it is time for a new HPOP.

#8 ·
Do you have difficulty with hot starts? 2200 rail pressure with stock injectors is an issue-- You are throwing the p1211 because the rail pressure will not meet the commanded requirement of the tuning. I suspect the pump delivers plenty of pressure, but you are not holding the pressure due to a leak.

At 130K, its time-- Start with the IPR oring replacement, then go to injector orings. The top oring on the injector that holds oil rail pressure is often the first one to go.

#11 ·
To answer Mandkole's question about hot starts, no I'm not having any issues with starting and the truck runs great. To answer Justin's question, I don't know what the duty cycle is running. I checked pressure with a 5,000 psi liquid filled gauge. Don't have access to a scanner with that capability. I have ran the truck with the factory tune and get no SEL codes but I've been running this tune for ten years and just started getting the code after the injector sleeve replacement. I used alliant o-rings on the injectors.

#12 ·
where do you live?

#14 ·
I live in Sherman Texas. So Justin, do you think I tore an injector o-ring when I installed the injectors? That's been my fear since I started getting the P1211 code. I was afraid it was something I did. I was very careful intalling them. I used a 5/8" wrench on the hold down plate and popped them in by pushing on the hold down. Didn't use a mallet on any of them. Also made sure they were oiled before putting them in. I guess I need to pull them back out and verify for a sanity check.

#17 ·
I'm not sure who bruce51d directed his comment to but I've owned this truck for 12 years not two weeks and I've always done the work on it myself. I thought that is what these forums are for, guys like me that aren't diesel experts. I come on here asking questions to figure out how to fix it myself.

#18 ·
Parker, the comment does not appear to be directed to you-- the misinformation that is spread on 'changing the HPOP oil' is just silly and it gets everyones ire up...

Back to your issue, I think you are getting closer to it. Hopefully you can isolate the pressure drop to one of the rails. Then you'll need to go back in and look at the orings on that bank. Did you use motorcraft orings? Some of the kits have had poor quality top/square orings. They tended to break quickly. I feel your frustration... I got good at pulling VCs for awhile.

#19 ·
I bought a kit off ebay that had the tool to pull the injector sleeves and it came with a set of o-rings for all of the injectors. They were made by a company called Alliant. The ebay add said that these are the same o-rings that ford uses. I've got to admit, I didn't research that to make certain. I've read other posts that have said good things about Alliant. The kit is sold by a guy named angelofishes and there is a youtube video by a guy named Ron that is a certified Ford mechanic that promotes the tool and o-ring kit.

#23 ·
Okay, I pulled the injectors back out and didn't find the smoking gun. No torn o-rings. I did replace the oil rail plugs & associated o-rings and I've ordered a new set of alliant injector o-rings. I can't bring myself to put the injectors back in without replacing them again. It's just too much trouble to tear it back down to take that chance. I figure it's worth 50.00 for the peace of mind. Looks like it is my HPOP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.