Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tow Power Plus Turbos

17K views 95 replies 18 participants last post by  tree trimmer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
were you running stock compounds prior to these? I'm going to stray away from compounds for the time being with as much fuel as I'm going to be pushing then end up doing custom compounds down the road.

#4 ·
...and ported intake manny, ported heads, 6.0 exhaust manny, up pipes....

#7 ·
For the 6.4 Hamilton only makes one spring. I want to say that it is 110 lb springs, but dont quote me on that.

As for the videos, thanks for the kind words. I want everyone to see what they are purchasing first hand and what issues each part address or helps out with.

#22 ·
Didn't know they offered one. Thanks I'll look into it

I like what im hearing. I have similer setup...

Elite..pushrods,stage1 vales/springs,ceramic coated pistons,ported fuel rails,pushrods,4k rpm cam,over sized crank bearings,high compression piston rings,80hp sticks
Dr.Diesel dual cp3 kit,ported intake
BatMoWheel..atmosphere and charged side
Air dog 165
6.0 manny
Banks intercooler

Just have not had many runs on the setup due to time an work

You mean dual k16 kit? CP3's aren't the way to go for these trucks. Seems like the K16's work much better and require less tuning battles.

#15 ·
I like what im hearing. I have similer setup...

Elite..pushrods,stage1 vales/springs,ceramic coated pistons,ported fuel rails,pushrods,4k rpm cam,over sized crank bearings,high compression piston rings,80hp sticks
Dr.Diesel dual cp3 kit,ported intake
BatMoWheel..atmosphere and charged side
Air dog 165
6.0 manny
Banks intercooler

Just have not had many runs on the setup due to time an work

#17 ·
That's what I was wondering too.

#18 ·
by going w/ the larger sticks he can pull back pw and still gain in HP and he'll drop egt's.

IIRC, you can still have gains over stock, not as great VS if you used the whole pw available but driveability improves dramaticaly. Maybe i've misunderstood how lubeowner and a few others were doing it but thats what i've gathered.

#20 ·
That is my understanding too. If you get the programming right (with the correct PW), you will get more Powa, greater efficiency, and even lower EGTs. Woodhouse is actually big fan of it (running reduced PW even with big turbos). I am still researching this, but it is looking more and more like this may be in the future (when funds are available) for me. Of course, being the tight a#s I am, I hoping that this can be applied w/o going to a modified HPFP or dual fuelers.

#19 ·
Ok I see. I really need to get schooled up on that subject. I understand the basics of what you're saying though.

#23 ·
I am running the lube owner kit. Tuning as of now is just low hp settings making sure I have everything holding together for now lol. My goal is to make more power with less smoke so tuning will probably take more time. I once had an elite modified hpfp and it failed badly. I don’t think anybody makes a mhpfp anymore since they were prone to fail. That's what I was told from respective names.

#24 ·
Elite has a DIY kit in the works right now, no time on release though as they want to perfect it so there are no failures.

#27 ·
Is your truck mainly goin to be competition now or will you still use it on the street? dd???

#32 ·
I located a supplier that has all the fittings I wanted. When we instal these in the shop we would just take two fittings and fig weld them together. This supplier has the double banjo bolts that we needed. As soon as I get these fittings then we will get it all installed on a mock up motor and see how it works.

#45 ·
LOLLOLLOLLOL

#46 ·
Thanks guys that make sense now. I did a ton of reading on the army yesterday. LOTS OF READING!

#47 ·
as for the larger nozzle thing....

you get the same fuel in in a shorter time. this is the lower pw, cooler egt's thing. there should be no loss of fuel, unless your nozzle is large enough that you have to pull pw back drastically to maintain rp.

you lose some atomization due to the larger nozzle. lose a tad of quality, but realistically should lose no fuel quantity.

as long as you dial pw back to maintain rail pressure there should be no power loss, due to larger nozzles and stock pumps. the key is maintaining rail pressure.

but, the thing is, is a guy going to larger nozzles on stock pumps for lower egt's, he's not after more power. nor is he probably running at the peak rpm either.

i don't race my truck, don't pull it, it's typically hooked to a trailer, or driving me around looking at jobs. 90% of its driving is on the street, and the rest trying to not get stuck in the field pulling wagons/trailers i probably should not be hooked to in the first place.

larger nozzles in my situation are the ONLY way to go. i don't care about up top, i care about down low, and mid range, which is where larger nozzles and stock pumps shine.

as for elites tests, and their thoughts on nozzles. 99% of their tests are for peak hp, up up top rpm stuff. which if you think about it, is what everyone wants to know, but how often are you in those circumstances in your truck?

ya, you might play in the country every now and then, and to attempt to give that a number, you might use that rpm range, what, 10% at most for a dd?

i prefer to build my truck for the 90% of how i use it. i am totally willing to give up, as elites testing shown, some peak performance for some response. stop and think about it for a minute. how often is your truck over, lets say 32-3500 where that peak performance/ upper rpm's matters?

that's the biggest hang up/mistake i see people making now-a-days. everyone is so hung up on numbers, peak numbers, dyno sheets, graphs, yada yada yada. for a dd, whats it matter what the peak number is? your going to be there so rarely, its a obselete number.

the graph showing the curve, that's a useful piece of paper. as long as it shows me a gain down low or in the midrange, I'm all for it. because that's where i use my truck.

go back in time a tad, i have seen first hand the benefits of larger nozzles on a 7.3. it was night and day. took the tuners a long time to be able to tune for them, as it was so much a new thing, new idea. now there are guys driving smoke free as a daily driver with 400% nozzles.

the problem with the 6.4's isn't the larger nozzles, it's the lack of proper tuning for them.

sorry for the novel.

#52 ·
That is a very good point.

#48 ·
The argument that you bring to the table is fine about maybe having some more low end power and better throttle responce, but I would love to see the dyno graphs between the one with larger nozzles with stock pump as to the stock nozzles with stock pump. I would love to see where the line of useful power would be. Elite has the graphs and it will be intresting to see.

#53 ·
I agree, but even with these #s, turbo setup, etc. will make a difference.

#49 ·
Very hard in this world to know what to believe. The guy that bought Eric at innovative truck has dyno numbers for it. The truck has a single turbo and with stock nozzles made 623. Then with 30% nozzles and a little pulse width pulled the truck made 678.

Also in many injector threads, when asked how they got the HP rating on their injectors, Tadd has always said that is what they saw for HP increases on the dyno. Now they are saying they make less power on the dyno? So what is the truth? How can anyone trust anything in this diesel world. If you don't do it yourself it is hard to know what is true.

#50 ·
Very hard in this world to know what to believe. The guy that bought Eric at innovative truck has dyno numbers for it. The truck has a single turbo and with stock nozzles made 623. Then with 30% nozzles and a little pulse width pulled the truck made 678.

Also in many injector threads, when asked how they got the HP rating on their injectors, Tadd has always said that is what they saw for HP increases on the dyno. Now they are saying they make less power on the dyno? So what is the truth? How can anyone trust anything in this diesel world. If you don't do it yourself it is hard to know what is true.
i do believe this is with the assumption, of whatever it takes fueling wise, to maintain rail pressure.

obviously you cannot get 110hp, out of 60% nozzles, with a single hpfp.

#54 ·
Most of all the nozzles that are rates by percentage all come from the same importer. They are then wholesaled to these companies. They are the same nozzles that anyone one here could call and buy for $450 you found the name of the company. They sell to the general public if you had a credit card.

The fact is Eric's old truck made more HP with larger nozzles and pulled back pulse width. So to say it doesn't work is just not true.

#55 ·
Are you saying that MPDs and RCDs nozzles are the same? If so, I didn't know that.

If you were responding to me...I don't disagree on Eric's truck. It appears larger nozzles (even without other fuel upgrades) can improve HP....just depends on the particular setup.

#56 ·
Do you believe that all these companies go out and find a company to spec out and make nozzles? Or is it more realistic that there are a few companies that make injector nozzles? They make not only nozzles for the 6.4 but 6.0, 7.3, duramax, cummins.

#57 ·
IDK. That is why I asked you, "Are you saying RCD's and MPD's nozzles are the same"?

#59 ·
Just to be clear, RCD's and MPD's injectors are the exact same? Again, if so, I didn't know that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.