Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dump Truck and a Gooseneck? Can It Be Done???

57K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Hideman50 
#1 ·
So i need a dump truck. My issue is I haul a couple different goosenecks right now and dont want to give up those trailers for bumper pulls. So, has anyone put a gooseneck in there dump or know how to? I've got a buddy who's sole job is welding and i think he could do it for me, just dont know how to exactly set it up. Weld to the dump bed? Weld to the frame?

Any help would be appreciated fellas...

#3 ·
#6 ·
#5 ·
You can always just pull from a reciever mount at the back of the frame, the only problem is you can't turn much more than a 90 degree angle, not that you would get anymore of an angle with a bumper pull. Basically your turning your gooseneck into a pinto hook, but don't have to get a new trailer.

#9 ·
Yes you can pull a gooseneck with a dump truck. The ball is mounted to the frame, below the bed. Access is through a "trap door" in floor of the bed. Open when pulling a trailer, closed when hauling dirt. The only thing that my give you trouble is the sides of the bed limit turning. You'll either have to use removable sides or cut the sides short so you can turn.

#10 ·
SAK, I've debated getting a dump trailer, but I do alot of snow removal in the winter and i cant quite justify the price of a dump trailer when for a little more i could get a dump truck and then have another plow truck.

willholl79, know anybody who makes a special kit? Or is it just a regular mount with a homemade trap door made in the bed of the dump?

#15 ·
Probably not gonna find a bolt on kit, but any truck body, or machine shop can fab one up easily. All you need is a plate/beam/crossmember to bridge the frame rails and a ball to weld to that. Then cut a square out of the bed and weld on hinges. Easy as pie.

#12 ·
Yeah we did it to an IH truck last year. Removable sides are key to this.

Mount the GN to the frame and cut a hole in the bed with a hinged trap door.

#13 ·
#14 ·
:whs:

Just put a trap door in the dump bed, and make or buy yourself a gooseneck hitch. Should be rather straight forward as long as the dump sides aren't to tall.

And dump trailers cost near the same as what you'll pay for the dump truck, depending on the size and age of the dump truck. The cost pretty much starts at $5K for a somewhat small dump trailer and goes on up from there.

#16 ·
I guess....I can comment here....my Dump has a gooseneck hitch in the bed..

The is the truck, 1993 International 4300 "Low Profile", 5 spd, 7.3 IDI

This truck started life as a flat bed dump for a lumber company, the previous owner purchased it, added the sides, added a pintle hitch on the back, and added a goose neck in the bed.

Although I have yet hook my gooseneck up to this truck (I'm over CDL requirements if I do, and I don't have a CDL), I see no issues running a goose with the hitch set up it has in the bed.

As far as the other suggestion about welding the hitch to the frame and a trap door in the bed.......great idea, except on a dump truck of this size the sisscor lift will always be in the way and will not be able to span across the frame rails to mount the hitch....that's why mine is mounted in the bed.

This is about the best pic I have right now of the hitch, it's a simple flip up ball hitch that was welded and re-enforced in the bed, real simple to do, if you are afraid of the hitch ripping the bed, just re-enforce it more.

You can see where the hitch is by where the safety u-bolts are.

The moral of the story is....you need to find a "Low Profile" truck, with out the lower frame of my truck there would be no way that my jacks on my goose would extend enough for me to get the goose into the bed and hook up the trailer. As far as I know, International is the only one to make these types of trucks.

And even though the IDI does an ok job....fine one with a DT444e, or a DT466e (these are uncommon in the Low Pro), but with a DT444e you'll be familar with it.

BTW, I paid 6k for this truck....awesome little truck for the price, you should be able to find these all day long like this.

#17 ·
my buddy has one, short 16 sides tho. wouldnt haul a whole lot more then a plain truck bed. why not just get the hoist kit for your bed?

#18 ·
Yes my dad made 1 to bolt on the back of the dumb truck we can take it off when we need to dump add me on Instagram and I can show you pictures of it my account is 101nano101 or add me on Facebook my my account on there is Nathaniel Jordan. And it is very strong it pulls a 25k lb backco just fine .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.