Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

false oil temp readings

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  !!!PainTrain!!! 
#1 ·
Someone mentioned reading about this once before and i have searched for over an hour and have not been able to find it.

Something about some scan tools reading the oil temp incorrect and showing a 30 or 40 degree diffrence if i remember correctly?

anybody have any info on this and a way to fix it? or what trucks specifically do it.

Got a customers truck did a new oil cooler and egr delete last week and he brought it back for coolant loss, quick test drive showed oil temp at 215 and coolant at like 175. They did have a radiator hose that was leaking and they repaired it and were overfilling the resivoir so this may be thier only problem, But just curious on what i saw on my MATCO Determinator Scan Tool

Thanks Travis

#2 ·
My scangauge reads my oil temp about 40° too high. I contacted Aeroforce about it and they said Ford may a supplied them with a incorrect formula to calculate oil temp. They said it has happened before with the OBS trucks. Wonder if Matco has the same issue...

#4 ·
The Matco scan tools reading for the oil temp isn't correct. I think I was the one who brought it up in the thread. A buddy of mine has one, and when we do head gaskets or oil coolers, we have to go to use his computer at the dealership. He was never given an answer from his Matco rep about the issue.

#6 ·
i have also seen some aftermarket programmers cause this issue aswell

#7 ·
well i was playing with it toight i told the scan tool it was an 04 truck which for some reason has 2 oil temp readings one was high and one was dead on. So i guess its just an 05 thing

Thanks Travis

#8 ·
truck that did it to me was an 05

#10 ·
On my 06, I datalogged with my X-cal2 before and had some ridiculous temps. I can't remember if it was coolant or oil that was way off, but one of them was. I want to say it was coolant though. It started at 475* (on a warm motor) and as I drove it just continually fell to around 80* until I shut the truck off. Never figured it out and it didn't do it again...

#12 ·
My Aeroforce gauge has been reading a high oil temp since day one, reading 40 degrees too high. Aeroforce says the conversion from Ford is incorrect, and they have been unable to correct the issue. I sent the gauge back to them but even after a reflash it was still wrong.They said every aftermarket gauge/scantool had the same problem, but a buddy of mine got a Edge Insight so we hooked it up and it showed correctly. That's the direction I'm headed in, more to follow later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.