Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Common Rail 7.3

129K views 393 replies 155 participants last post by  kellywatsong 
#1 ·
I don't know how to embed a video... but here's the link

CRruns.mp4 video by golfert444e - Photobucket

it's running on a 7.3L PCM through our IDM8 instead of the factory IDM.

little ways to go before it goes to the engine dyno...but yesterday was a good day.

#85 ·
Higher boost I can see but not higher power from a small motor all other things being equal

#88 ·
Tarm- I figured I had my wires crossed somewhere. So its higher boost from a smaller turbo. Thanks for clearing that up!

Is it running dual cp3's or a single?

So are the nozzles on the injectors custom or are they stock 6.4l nozzles? I guess what I'm really asking is are the spray patterns the same, hit the same spots in the bowl, at the same angle for the two motors, etc.? If its proprietary info don't bother answering. Just curious.

#94 ·
They are dual Siemens pumps. The nozzles are custom made with the correct spary pattern for a 7.3L

So which front cover did they use? I see 2 different styles in those pics. Just curious for what reason it was changed.
It is using the more square front cover I believe.

-Michael

#91 ·
looks like its time to sell the 6.4

#93 ·
So which front cover did they use? I see 2 different styles in those pics. Just curious for what reason it was changed.

#100 ·
link?

Like Scotty said..... the other crowds are shaking in their boots..... Lets see, big cubes, better flowing heads, the power of a P-Pump with the control of EFI. I wonder how long till the rules outlaw this system to keep it "fair" to the Cummins boys who have had their secret little club for how long now...... Long Live the 7.3!

#102 ·
a guy once told me "just because some designed it doesnt mean it was right the first time" i gave them my 2cent over there too:evil

#103 ·
WOW, that sounds really mean!
This setup is gonna kick ALOT of ass.
Nice work fellas!
:ford:

#105 ·
God that sounds like mechanical precision...

So well timed and crisp. Wow does that make me want to tear my engine out of the truck again. Sounds nothing like a heui 7.3 to me. Actually sounds like a mechanical detroit to be honest.

So crisp..... so clean...

And keeping with the Heui is gonna hurt so much more when it starts making pulls on the dyno.

#107 ·
One guy posted something stupid like we should add an EGR cooler to the mix since we are using Ford parts....... Just people getting their feelings hurt because they are scared of the unknown. I hope this setup dominates in the next few years and shuts up everyone.....

#108 ·
Taking the multiple injection events out of the mix should really make the thing run, alot of the standalone CR stuff is going to that, and a CR sounds just like a nasty 12v with a ppump, crisp and hits hard, im excited to see this i think it should do well once the tuning is figured out. Gotta love common rail ;)

#109 ·
I honestly don't know what tuning needs figuring out...

Pop the same ole CP transducer that's always been in Scotty's engine in there and go make some pulls like always. Done. Same ole PCM we've been tuning for over a decade. Same tables, same everything. The PCM doesn't know it's running a CR injection system.

When John went to help tune on Sam's mechanical 7.3 it was just the same old thing as usual. CP transducer as always, and just a screwdriver instead of a keyboard. They went over 1000 on fuel pretty quickly with that one. Couple sessions IIRC.

The real variables IMO will be nozzle hole dia, rail/pump orifice sizing and that kind of thing.

I want to see CR injection moving mod class fuel quantities. It is more long-term than what this project is all about, but I personally want to see a 2000hp drag truck. A guy with a mech pump 7.3 could do that today if he was so inclined.

#113 ·
I bet keeping the rail pressure stable will be a fun undertaking.....

Are the pumps they have on this setup still using both the volume and pressure delivery inputs from the computer?
As far as I know the unmolested 7.3L PCM IPR output is driving the injection pressure regulators. They may have an interfacing box between the two for voltage/amperage matching, but I think the same old ICP table and IPR duty cycle tables are controlling things just like they easily control multiple hpop's on a heui truck.

As far as usage of pressure and volume regulators, I couldn't speculate much. Although I could certainly imagine a million ways to do each, I don't know what John's doing with them at present. But judging by the revving in the video, I'm not that interested, as whatever method he chose clearly works, lol.
As far as i know you HAVE to run both the PCV (pressure control valve) and VCV (volume control valve) to make the pump work correctly, but as i understand in some reading i did awhile back the VCV controls low pressure and the VCV controls high pressure, but effectively they control both pressure and volume. The reading i found was thru international not ford ill see if i can dig up the info on it.

Controling it might be an issue, but i dont think its a huge deal because on some data logs i have done watching both, the vcv seams to flat line at about half, while the pressure valve will max out at around 99 percent so really i think you could set the VCV at a fixed rate, and make the PCV do most of the work and it should be fine, with a set up like scotties truck, maintaining rail pressure at WOT is all that matters so making things smooth and making the rail pressure stay at 5000 psi at idle wont be as important as a DD or a truck running multiple injection events. (injector rattle)

#111 ·
As far as I know the unmolested 7.3L PCM IPR output is driving the injection pressure regulators. They may have an interfacing box between the two for voltage/amperage matching, but I think the same old ICP table and IPR duty cycle tables are controlling things just like they easily control multiple hpop's on a heui truck.

As far as usage of pressure and volume regulators, I couldn't speculate much. Although I could certainly imagine a million ways to do each, I don't know what John's doing with them at present. But judging by the revving in the video, I'm not that interested, as whatever method he chose clearly works, lol.

#112 ·
Hey Scotty,

Dpc next year with this beast?

#116 ·
Looks like i need to open a new savings account and put some in there every check for this, unless someone wants to donate some $$$$$$ to me and use it as a write off, JUST SAYIN.

#119 ·
So what's the deal with Diesel Place? I was going to read what they were saying about this, but I'm not a member. The thing I noticed though is there are no powerstroke sections..?

#121 ·
The name makes perfect sense... :doh: LOL

Can't wait to see what this thing will do! Wanna see it tear up the tracks, both dirt and asphalt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.