Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

i just dropped the tappett in the engine!

5K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
it got caught on the inside of the block and fell through. i heard you can leave them in there but was thinking of some alternative ideas....can anyone help me

#7 ·
You should be able to tap the oil pan and hear it rolling around. If it is you can get it out threw the drain.

#10 ·
Find someone with a bore scope and take a look through the fuel pump hole and try to find it that way. If it made it to the pan dont worry about it.

#11 ·
well, im very relieved to say it at the rear sump of the pan. i drained the oil and bumped the started and heard a plink plink plink. if i tap the bottom of the pan with a mallet, it'll jump haha. so im going to grab a really strong magnet, stick it on there and call it good.

#13 ·
can you not just get it out the drain plug? or is it to big? i would have to get it out if it were mine just cause i knew it was there. i would probly cut out a hole in the oil pan then put a patch on over the hole.

#15 ·
yeah i listened to everyone on here one time about gettin studs for my 7.3 when i was building it. i told everyone what i had and what i was going to do with it and they all told me i would not need studs and that the stock 7.3 bolts would hold the head down, well needless to say second day runnin blew the HG out the side of the thing and had to pull the motor again. I took that as a lessoned learned not to trust what everyone says but to do what you think would be best.,

what if one day you spinnin the motor real good churnin up the oil in the pan and spin that tappet upthe side of the pan and the crank couter weight catches onto it and it gets pushed into the block crackin it..not sayin it could happen like that but you never know. your magnet idea sounds pretty good though!;)

#18 ·
There's two thin copper crush washers, one on each side of the banjo fitting.

#20 ·
:whs:

And you won't be able to get the tappet out the drain plug hole, the oil pickup tube is right above it. I have a nut in my oil pan, and it's not going anywhere until I pull the motor to put a new pan on. :doh:

Dave

#21 ·
The crush washers are thin and one of them is probably stuck to the old pump. Or one or both of them fell into the valley of death.

#23 ·
great, so should i not worry about it? im thinking of cutting off a corner of the pan and grabbing it out there, then welding it back up. the only concern i have is that when i cut the pan open with a cutoff wheel, im gonna get that steel dust all over the inside of the motor, which would pose even a bigger problem. \\
i've thought of the possability of putting a vacum up against the drain plug hole while i cut, maybe a magnet carefully placed, but in the end it might do more harm then just letting that tappet sit on the bottom.

i just dont want to grenade my motor haha. what do you guys think, am i stressing out on this too much?

#24 ·
the residual oil in the pan will hold the metal shavings and the vacumn won't help at all, then when oil is put back in it'll pick up the shavngs, don't do it. base on all the others here, don't worry about it.

#26 ·
:whs: it is definitely not going anywhere. You're not the first that has done that. Suspecting the 'clown-ige' that was around my motor with the previous owner, I could have all kinds of stuff down there and don't know it. LOL

#27 ·
You could always try to remove it through the dipstick hole which should be large enough. The hard part would be in retaining the "internal" dipstick seal and adapter so you can reinstall the dipstick tube. Cheers!

#29 ·
see now dont you feel better its out, i know i do and its not even my truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.