Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

non turbo 7.3 vs. reg. 7.3

21K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  93 Indirect Injected 
#1 ·
whats the difference between the two?
any internal diff.
etc.?

#3 ·
Want to say something inside the turboed motors is suppost to be beefed up. Diffrent injectors & pump. In all truth though I would trust a NA motor with a turbo more then a factory turbo motor. Can't remember what it was but something they tryed to beef up didn't work so well & have been known to spin a bearing in the bottom end.

#8 ·
For all this time I was under the impression that the factory turbo trucks had better rods, but this got me thinking and questioning myself, so I did some digging.

Found this...

Agnem said:
The biggest improvement and most sought after option for 1993 was the introduction of the first factory turbo option. This option was available for the two remaining years of IDI production and is significant for several reasons. From the very beginning of the 6.9 liter production, a turbocharger was considered, but the normally aspirated engine was already a $2000 option and the addition of the turbo would nearly double that figure. Many believed that the extra amount on the sticker in the mid ‘80’s would put it over the edge price wise. Luckily, companies such as Gale Banks Engineering, Advanced Turbo Systems (ATS), and Hypermax saw this as an opportunity. ATS was chosen as the turbo system provider for the new factory turbo option and Ford/Navistar implemented other engine upgrades to compliment the addition of the turbo. Trucks equipped with this engine option can be identified by the small “Turbo Diesel” emblem under the F250/350 front fender badges.

The additional engine changes are as follows:

Cylinder head gasket heavier ring and armor wrap

Increased wrist pin bore on connecting rods

Larger wrist pin

Anodized piston head

Keystone design top and intermediate piston rings

Increased number of oil passages in oil cooler (30 fin/inch vs. 24 on NA)

Turbo specific flywheel

Turbo specific vibration dampener

Turbo injector pump

Turbo injectors

Modified injector fuel return line routing

Modified E4OD dipstick

Modified E4OD turbo micro processor

Turbo specific cooling fan clutch

Lower restriction exhaust

Additionally, the truck received a slotted front bumper and an air dam below the radiator. These improvements conservatively raised the power output to 185hp and 360ft/lbs of torque. These numbers are believed to be under-inflated so as not to downplay the mid year introduction of the new diesel engine.

#11 ·
haha :doh:

yea that kinda goes with what it says in the beginning of the quote, the turbo was really just an ornament on the motor and not much of a power adder, until you replace the exhaust housing and downpipe and turn the pump up to where it should be.

Some day I hope to build an "ultimate" idi start with an 87 6.9L with turbo rods and mahle 19.5:1 ceramic coated pistons and whatever other machine work that could be done then a built IP and injectors, some turbo setup with a PSD intercooler and if all it makes is 300hp I would be happy with it. I just wanna build it lol

#12 ·
that same 195 hp international engine in the 88 superduty
hit 346hp on a dyno with nothing more than a large air filter plumbed to a cold air intake, 3 inch out of the turbo to twin 4 inch stacks without mufflers, turned up almost too much pump, and a nonwastegated banks turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.