Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

?? How to drain the fuel/water seperator??

60K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FTG-05 
#1 ·
I received a water in fuel light on my 05 f250 so like a good little boy I went to the ford book. After looking at the sparse instructions I found the horizonal mouted fuel filter, but for the life of me, I could not find the drain lever that is referenced in the book. Has anyone else had to drain the water seperator on a 6.0L? If so, what is the best way to do it?

I know I must be over looking something, but what??

#2 ·
theres a 6mm allen head screw on the back of your frame rail pump, unscrew it and let it all run out then reinstall the screw and turn ur key on and let it run for about 45 seconds, i would also open the upper fuel filter housing to let the air out of the lines

#3 ·
fordfreak covered it. As you're under the truck looking at the HFCM, there's a 6mm allen head bolt facing you. Pretty much in the lower center of the housing. It may have been replaced with a knurled knob (popular upgrade), but that's what you're looking for. Be prepared for a diesel bath (its going to go everywhere), open it up, and drain until you see diesel coming out.

#4 ·
I would first spray it down with some PB Blaster..... and have a second allen head bolt there.... it strips out pretty easily

#6 ·
I like the drain plug upgrade, but on the web site, it shows for only 03-06. why will this not work in the 07?

#7 ·
X2 on the knurled upgraded plug mentioned, and the PITA that, that little plug is :mad:

Previous owner of my truck never drained the water (50k miles) and the brass plug liked to corode right to the cover on the hfcm as well. In my case we had to drill out the plug and replace it nce everything was cleaned up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.