Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pros and cons of disconecting the EBPS.......

27K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Cat_Rebel 
#1 ·
I know this has been covered befor and i searched the forum far and wide about it. Can someone please list the pros and cons about unpluging the EBPS. So far what ive got is when unpluged the back EBPS is openat all times, correct? What are the benifits to it being open as to being closed? And it will make my truck sound like the starship enterprise at all times, correct? I just dont want to damage anything, or hurt performance. O and can someone please tell me where it is, i read its under the turbo and i cannot fit my hands in there to save my life.

#2 ·
The EBPS (exhaust backpressure sensor) sits on the front of the motor, and reads exhaust backpressure via a tube from the passenger's side manifold. Completely disconnecting the sensor such as unplugging the wiring harness will cause the SES light to illuminate, and the EBPV (exhaust backpressure valve) to disable. Meaning the valve will always stay open (no more hissing noise in cold weather while idling). Also there is debate on how much effect it may have on fueling tables. So by disconnecting it, there is a possibility of you actually robbing yourself of some horsepower.

General consensus is to leave it plugged in. If you want to disconnect the EBPV and prevent it from closing off, then you would unplug the electrical connector at the actuator, which is located on the front of the turbo pedistal, way under the turbo in a very inconvenient and hard to reach spot. But, once that plug is unhooked, the EBPV will remain open, and unplugging that connector will not set the SES light or interfere with any engine management systems. Now you still have a functioning EBPS, but a disabled EBPV.

#5 ·
i disagree... mines broke and just laying there.. no SES here and half the time those tubes are blocked up with soot neways

#6 ·
I guess there's a difference then between these trucks because mine will set the SES light if I disconnect the wiring harness for the EBPS.

As for the fueling issue, I mentioned it's debatable. I to have "disabled" my EBPS by removing it from the tube, and capping the end of the sensor and plugging the tube off. The electrical connector is still hooked to the sensor, but the sensor is not reading anything but ambient pressure. With it hooked up this way, I never noticed a difference in power. I did try it unplugged before removing and capping it off, but that SES light was annoying.

#7 ·
As far as the CEL light, when having my PCM scan a while back, there was actually a EBP sensor code in the PCM but no CEL light was illuminated. I went ahead and replace the EBP sensor and tube anyway. Long story short it may or may not throw a CEL, I've heard threw the grape vine that Jody recommends keeping it connected and functioning properly, and we all know his word is the law, wright? :D

#8 ·
My early 99 would not set the SES light with the EBPS disconnected either. Like I said it was much easier to reach being in the front of the motor as I would connect it and disconnect it as needed during the winter.

#9 ·
Disconnecting the sensor in my '01 does not set the SEL. I also think this is the better option. The PCM will keep the valve open. If you unplug the actuator, the PCM loses control. When you start the truck, the PCM normally exercises the valve. I don't know for sure, but this may still happen with the sensor unplugged. (that would be a good thing) Of course that would be impossible with the actuator unplugged.

#10 ·
If you unplug the actuator, the PCM loses control. When you start the truck, the PCM normally exercises the valve. I don't know for sure, but this may still happen with the sensor unplugged. (that would be a good thing) Of course that would be impossible with the actuator unplugged.
When you unplug the electrical connector at the actuator, it completely disables it from closing. It will always remain open, and will not cycle closed at any time.

#18 ·
Go to www.spdiesel.com and see their Other/New Products tab. There is something that keeps the PCM happy when you unplug the EBPS and another one for the EBPV. I am keeping my EBPS and ditching the EBPV so I am getting the pug for that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.